Freshwater boat ramp

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

clinchmtnboy

Freshwater boat ramp

Post by clinchmtnboy »

I have put in at Lanark in the past trips. My new boat came in with painted trailer. My question is there a ramp close to the area that has freshwater. Carrabelle?
bbb

Re: Freshwater boat ramp

Post by bbb »

Find a ramp on your way home with freshwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

The only freshwater ramp I know of close to Carrabelle is Ochlocknee River State Park and the ramp is not very big.
bbb

Post by bbb »

If your leaving Carrabelle on Tallahassee Hwy/Hwy 67 North, there is a small ramp a few miles North of town off a creek. I have backed a 20' Bay boat in before and flushed the motor, but would not try it with my 25' Offshore boat. Not sure where the end of the ramp is. It's one of those dark water creeks.

You could drive over to The Moorings in Carrabelle and use their water hose if you need to rinse off the trailer before driving back home.

But if you are leaving the ramp and going back to Clinch county, I would just find a ramp at one of the rivers on the way home.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

How often are you fishing saltwater with the new boat/trailer? If the answer is often, you need to sell that trailer and buy an aluminum trailer. Even rinsing it off, it won’t last too long.
clinchmtnboy

Post by clinchmtnboy »

I fish salt once or twice a year, I fish Tennessee mostly. My last boat had galvanized trailer and I dunked it off daily at Ochlockonee. I thought about running out of Ochlockonee seems sketchy and looks shallow. I was wanting to put in around Lanark or Carrabelle, because I know that area better. I have and 18 foot aluminum boat. I was hoping for freshwater ramp up around Carrabelle River.
bbb

Freshwater boat ramp

Post by bbb »

Here is the ramp North of Carrabelle.

Its about 20 feet off the Hwy

clinchmtnboy

Post by clinchmtnboy »

Thanks bbb...that one was not on my radar!
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Once the boat is launched and the trailer sits in the sun and dries all day the damage is done. Bring a pump up sprayer with fresh water and salt away. Spray trailer after launch and after loading.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Maybe hit a local car wash and spray everything down with some soap and water. I had a non- aluminum/galvanized trailer once. Did everything I could to keep it strong. From rinsing to painting (to provide a buffer from the salt) it didn’t matter; salt water plays no games and gives no slack when it comes to metal.

The local trailer and hitch guy in panacea, says saltwater is his friend it’s what keeps his business alive. Lol

Heck while in the Navy in deck division we busted rust; primed and painted; every week it seemed. Never prevented any rust just slowed it down.

Good luck in your quest to preserve your new equipment.