Finding Lower Unit

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MichaelLee

Finding Lower Unit

Post by MichaelLee »

I finally found my first rock the hard way this weekend and need a lower unit replacement on a 98 Johnson 115 20" shaft. The boat is at Porter's in Woodville and he called with the bad news. I have called everyone in the area I can think of: Shields, Mikes, Sunshine, Parkway, and Big Bend in Perry looking for a used one. I am also scouring FB and CL looking for a local one. My question- Is there anywhere else I could check that I am not thinking of? Hoping some of you guys have some leads that aren't on my list already.

TIA
Michael
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Finding Lower Unit

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Call Bellamy's in Thomasville. He probably still has a new 98' outboard in the box. :-D
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

If you're willing to drive 80 - 100 miles, you could call these guys. I've dealt with both for many years. Both are honest / reliable and carry a lot of used parts:
Dothan Outboard Repair: (334) 714-5189
B & G Marine: (334) 677-6633
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Check ebay. A quick search found a few that might work for you.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Crews marine in Perry Fl. used to stock a lot of rebuilt lower units. I would try there if you haven't already.
edif

Post by edif »

If all else fails Marine Parts Warehouse they ere on the web.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Larry's Marine, Alma, Ga. 912-632-8229
all he does is Johnson and evinrude
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
MichaelLee

Post by MichaelLee »

Thank you guys for all of the responses. Bellamy's had one then an employee from Mike's called me back to tell me he had just taken one off of his personal boat that fit. I appreciate the list of leads, hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MichaelLee wrote: July 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm Thank you guys for all of the responses. Bellamy's had one then an employee from Mike's called me back to tell me he had just taken one off of his personal boat that fit. I appreciate the list of leads, hopefully this will help someone else in the future.
:-D Knew Bellamy would have 1 :-D Glad you found one
MichaelLee

Post by MichaelLee »

Hit-n-Miss wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:25 am
MichaelLee wrote: July 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm Thank you guys for all of the responses. Bellamy's had one then an employee from Mike's called me back to tell me he had just taken one off of his personal boat that fit. I appreciate the list of leads, hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Just an FYI, He is closing up shop and retiring in September. The one I found did not fit, so I had to go get the one from him anyway. Super nice and knowledgeable guy. He treated my 4 year old fishing partner like a king, answered every off the wall question he had and then gave him ice cream. Thank you for hooking me up.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I have had to buy a couple lower units in the past and got them from https://www.crowleymarine.com/
Only took a couple days to arrive and they are extremely easy to install yourself.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MichaelLee wrote: July 9th, 2021, 9:37 am
Hit-n-Miss wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:25 am

Just an FYI, He is closing up shop and retiring in September. The one I found did not fit, so I had to go get the one from him anyway. Super nice and knowledgeable guy. He treated my 4 year old fishing partner like a king, answered every off the wall question he had and then gave him ice cream. Thank you for hooking me up.
. He has said he was closing before and didn’t. But he’s done it a long time and deserves to relax and enjoy himself. Glad he got you going. It’s a shame he can’t pass all his knowledge on to someone.