F250 25” shaft

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

F250 25” shaft

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I know it’s a long shot but if anyone wanting to upgrade or know where a new/used F250 25” shaft is let me know ASAP. Buddy of mine had one go bad due to the corrosion issue.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Re: F250 25” shaft

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

What's the corrosion issue ?
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Internal corrosion in the block and midsection, extreme pitting that can eventually eat through the block or exhaust areas. Somewhat common on certain Yamaha motors from around 2000 to maybe 20010, nit sure on dates. Search on thehulltruth.com for Yamaha corrosion and should be able to find more info and pictures. Had something to do with the aluminum alloy they used.
flatsbroke22

F250 25” shaft

Post by flatsbroke22 »

The big four strokes built in the early to mid 2000’s had internal corrosion from the exhaust. Lot of lawsuits to Yamaha but they were thrown out of court. They did send the replacement parts but had to be fixed at your expense, which wasn’t cheap.Image

This was an attempt of a patch
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I wonder if a "Salt Away" rinse would have prevented the problem? I do that religiously with my two new Yammys and I'm planning (and hoping) to get many years of service from them.

Evidently not.....see below.
Last edited by rockyg on July 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... issue.html

"salt or fresh some of them get the yamarot. mine was operated at the end of every season in a fresh water lake in pennsylvania. it was also flushed after every use to no avail. i later found out that the coating in the exhaust stack was sub standard. the area that rots out is dry and you can't flush it. it is the corrosive nature of the exhaust gasses that blows the coating off. yamaha offers the repair kit and no other assistance. the class action was also dismissed so owners are pretty much left to their own solution either fix/replace the motor.
co
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton