First time, need some advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

New to Tallahassee area and next weekend I'd like to take the Sportsman 212 out for its inaugural cruise. Just a short tour with the wife, no fishing planned. I was thinking about launching at the St. Marks Fort Saturday or Sunday afternoon if the weather and waves are right but I don't know about the tides there. Low tide next weekend will be 3pm to 330ish pm which is about when I'd like to try and launch. I'm hoping most of the morning crowd has returned and some parking will be available. BUT I don't know how that ramp is at low tide. Is it doable at low tide?

I also noticed there is a ramp at Hwy 98 @ Wakulla river just up river. What is the river like from that ramp downstream? I'm sure its pretty narrow in spots. I might be better off kayaking it the first time.

Thanks
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I would launch at the Fort or from Shields for your first time. Will give you a chance to follow the channel markers and give you a good lay of the land. Stay in the markers and do not take short cuts until you know what your looking at. There are a lot of oyster bars lurking about.

Going south on the river will take you out to the salt and give a good view of the lighthouse. And take you towards the sand bar that is a very popular hang out.

Going up the Wakulla towards the lower bridge. Is doable. Once you get close to the bridge and past the bridge going north the water will start getting skinny.

If y’all get hungry Cooter’s has some jam up fresh burgers and homemade fries.

If you don’t already with your boating insurance, may I suggest getting a Sea Tow membership. Affordable and can provide great peace of mind if should ever get stuck, have motor issues, run out off gas/oil, a dead battery etc.. I’ve even given fishing tips to folks who have called and asked where to go.

Welcome to the Big Bend!

Side note.. wave at the Sea Tow guy when he waves.. hurts my feelings when folks don’t wave back. Lol
Leoparddog

Re: First time, need some advice

Post by Leoparddog »

Thanks Red Beard,
I'll be sure to wave and yes, I have a Sea Tow membership. Well worth it.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

+1 on Sea Tow

Picked up a pontoon boat about a year ago to cruise the river and had it checked out. Got the thumbs up from the mechanic and brought the family down the river. Made it to about marker 51 in the river and she died. Couldn't get her going again and luckily had purchased sea tow about a week prior.

Membership was about half what I would have paid and the captain (maybe it was Redbeard?) Couldn't have been nicer.

I won't leave the dock without it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I agree with the red bearded one! Never seen a tide so low that you couldn't launch at the Fort. I like Shields, but sometimes it gets backed up with people trying to load stuff in their boat right in front of the store.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote: August 9th, 2021, 11:42 am I would launch at the Fort or from Shields for your first time. Will give you a chance to follow the channel markers and give you a good lay of the land. Stay in the markers and do not take short cuts until you know what your looking at. There are a lot of oyster bars lurking about.

Going south on the river will take you out to the salt and give a good view of the lighthouse. And take you towards the sand bar that is a very popular hang out.

Going up the Wakulla towards the lower bridge. Is doable. Once you get close to the bridge and past the bridge going north the water will start getting skinny.

If y’all get hungry Cooter’s has some jam up fresh burgers and homemade fries.

If you don’t already with your boating insurance, may I suggest getting a Sea Tow membership. Affordable and can provide great peace of mind if should ever get stuck, have motor issues, run out off gas/oil, a dead battery etc.. I’ve even given fishing tips to folks who have called and asked where to go.

Welcome to the Big Bend!

Side note.. wave at the Sea Tow guy when he waves.. hurts my feelings when folks don’t wave back. Lol

How long have you been a sea tow capt? I only know capt Joel. Where is your port?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator.. for a few months now. There are a few captains working in the Big Bend Area, we rotate around. Joel doesn’t go out as much as he used to, but will help if we are busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote: August 11th, 2021, 5:49 pm Salty Gator.. for a few months now. There are a few captains working in the Big Bend Area, we rotate around. Joel doesn’t go out as much as he used to, but will help if we are busy.

I’ll keep an eye out, hope I don’t have to call ya
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Red Beard wrote: August 9th, 2021, 11:42 amSide note.. wave at the Sea Tow guy when he waves.. hurts my feelings when folks don’t wave back. Lol
BTW, I wave to everybody on the water, but I look like Forest Gump when I see the Sea tow or Tow Boat captains!
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

ropeman wrote:
Red Beard wrote: August 9th, 2021, 11:42 amSide note.. wave at the Sea Tow guy when he waves.. hurts my feelings when folks don’t wave back. Lol
BTW, I wave to everybody on the water, but I look like Forest Gump when I see the Sea tow or Tow Boat captains!
Ha ha I feel the same way.

Salty Gator, If you do have to give us a call will be glad to help. And if we can safe your day and get you back going we are more than happy to.

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Leoparddog wrote: August 9th, 2021, 10:37 am I was thinking about launching at the St. Marks Fort Saturday or Sunday afternoon if the weather and waves are right but I don't know about the tides there.
Looks like better weather for Saturday, Sunday might be a little choppy. I'll be putting in at the Lighthouse ramp around 9AM.

Tomorrow
TIDES
Low 1:18 AM 0.8'
High 7:00 AM 3.5'
Low 2:17 PM 0.5'
High 8:02 PM 3.0'

SUN Rise 7:04 AM
Set 8:20 PM
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Thanks everyone,
We had a successful first outing at St. Mark's yesterday afternoon. A friend from Atlanta was down at Shell Island FC to check on his camper before the storm and he volunteered to go out with us and keep me in the channel. We ran out as far as the sand bar and called it a good day.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Good deal! Glad you got your maiden voyage in. Welcome to the big bend, catch ya on the water!

squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

My advice is to start slow, learn the different sides of Apalachee Bay then start venturing out to St. George Sound - the pass between Dog and St. George's Island, the St. Vincent dry bar, the Apalachicola distributaries and Lake Wimico are favorites. And stay away from the Rock Garden - I wrecked a lower unit there and now it scares me too much!
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

= Good Summer!