Missing boater at lighthouse

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BillytheKid

Missing boater at lighthouse

Post by BillytheKid »

There is a man named Chris Butler missing near the St Mark's lighthouse. Any friends with boats able to go and help locate him? FWC is on site along with an aerial search and rescue group.

He and a friend were scalloping yesterday 8-27-2021 and a storm came up. The water lifted their anchor and the boat drifted away from them. The friend made it to shore, Chris did not.

There is a orange life jacket tied to a branch just off from Gray Mare Rock. This is where the friend exited the water. FWC is asking everyone to search East of this marker as that is how the currents are flowing.

Even if you aren't able to go and help search, please share to your boating friends and please keep this family in your thoughts.
Red Beard

Re: Missing boater at lighthouse

Post by Red Beard »

Prayers for his friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I pushed my boat in more shallow water than I ever have today. Found the spot called Cow Creek rock pile. Idled around Cabell point and over to Gamble point. All I found was 4 rocks! So glad to have the Porter rock guard. WCTV, TPD, Wakulla sherif and FWC were at the lighthouse when I came in around 2:30

Prayers and thoughts to the family and friends.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Chris and I grew up in the same neighborhood until he moved away. Prayers to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

OMG I am so sorry to read about Chris - and now it's evening and storms are coming through. I'm praying he is hanging on somewhere.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

I saw an announcement today that they are calling off the search. So sad for his family and loved ones.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Very sad, I can’t imagine what the family has gone through and will go through. Prayers

One question I have on the circumstances of the tragedy, as someone who has never been scalloping, is it common for everyone to be in the water and no one on the boat? I don’t know that I would have ever done that for this reason but is it common?
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

leonreno wrote:Very sad, I can’t imagine what the family has gone through and will go through. Prayers

One question I have on the circumstances of the tragedy, as someone who has never been scalloping, is it common for everyone to be in the water and no one on the boat? I don’t know that I would have ever done that for this reason but is it common?
Pretty common, but obviously not recommended.

Prayers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk