MK Ulterra reliability

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

MK Ulterra reliability

Post by PhishingNole »

I've been searching for a riptide Terrova (80lb) for a while now with no luck. Drove through Gainesville yesterday and just happened to check bass pros site. They had one Ulterra and I picked it up for about ($500) more than the Terrova.

The best I can tell is the major difference is the auto deploy feature, which I couldn't care less about, at least without ever having tried it.

I'm a little worried because while the Terrova reviews have been outstanding, the Ulterra reviews are very mixed with the negative reviews about the auto deploy and remote trim hardware breaking and being a huge PITA to manually bring up and requiring it to be mailed to the manufacturer for repairs.

My phone alerted me today that there's a Terrova in stock at one of the stores I've been watching.

Now I'm waffling. Anyone have first hand experience with the Ulterra? Any advice?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

edif

Re: MK Ulterra reliability

Post by edif »

i have had both the auto deploy failed on mine and it was covered under warranty never had any more trouble with it if you want to discuss further shoot me a # and i will call you tomorrow.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

Only trouble I ever had was operator error. I forgot I had it deployed and took off on the big motor. When I realized after a few second the trolling motor was down, I stopped and tried to bring it up. It wouldn't come all the way up and I tried to help/force it and broke it. In hindsight, I should have rebooted it and it would have probably been fine. It was replaced under warranty and I have not had further issues.

I also understand that the original versions had issues but the later models have fixed those issues.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I've had the first edition Ulterra and the 2nd edition (new and improved model). There were several improvements on the newer models. The only issue I ever had was with the trim and that was due to a loose drive belt. Because it was loose, the teeth wore off the drive belt and it made an awful noise when using the trim. Bought and installed a new drive belt (I think it was $13) easy install and I've never had any more problems. Personally, I LOVE the auto deploy and stow and wouldn't have another trolling motor without it and although I haven't had a to manually stow it, the instructions on how to do it seem simple.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to roll the dice and keep the Ulterra.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk