Thoughts on chartplotter/sonar

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Thoughts on chartplotter/sonar

Post by woodstock52 »

I fish out of an Express 18sv & stay inshore. I do fish a lot (couple of days a week on average)
I am looking at the Garmin Echomap UHD 94sv inshore with BlueChart G3 Mapping that's on sale ay BP. $799.97
But i really want advice on the mapping. My friend is pushing the GPS units and adding Florida Marine Tracks. But i only fish for pleasure & it adds up to a little more than i like due to the Tracks. I saw a screen shot on BBF at day or two ago of Navionics that looked great to me. Lots of oyster bars, rocks, depth, markers...
How good is BlueChart? I know Garmin owns Navionics but i have also seen talk of G3 Mapping & G3 Vision? Gets confusing for a simple mind.
Can I or should I buy the Echomap only or add the Navionics card, is there only one inshore card or do they have different Navanoics options? I am not interested in LakeView unless inshore is included.
Is there a better option for me?
Or should i bite the bullet & go with my buddies' advice? I have been using an older Lorance Hook 5, & the mapping does not show very much at all.
I am not very good at electronics, so I need things to be kinda simple.
Sorry for the long question, but i need help, as you can tell.
Thanks for any & all advice.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Re: Thoughts on chartplotter/sonar

Post by Redbelly »

I have the 94SV Plus I got a couple years ago. For me it is good, I know about FMT but I see a need for it if I was a tourney fisherman.

My Garmin showed a couple of rock piles very accurately in front of Stoney. It shows bars and pretty accurate shoeline/creeks.

It's easy to learn and I like the touch screen.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I was in the same position as you about 15 months ago, I purchased the same package you are looking at, the 94sv with the GT 54 transducer. I was considering other units too, for the same reasons you are, better map options. I don’t fish as often as you but like you said, just for some fun. If I went with a different unit I was going to spend more on the unit PLUS I would have to buy the better mapping. In total it was just going to be too much money, the better mapping is fairly expensive and I didn’t see me buying it. Garmin has also just released new Navionics mapping packages that might be better, but a lot depends on where you fish. I’m overall happy with the Garmin 94sv.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have same unit. Came with boat. I also just felt like I would not really trust FMT that much either. Not that it is not great, if I were a tourney guy I might. I am so far happy with it. It is such a massive upgrade over my old one it feels so much nicer. Plenty for my needs.

G3 and G3 vision have some differences, but mostly it comes down to satellite images and high resolution relief shading. Did not think either was that important to me. Can usually just use my phone and Google Earth for satellite images as I fish inshore only.

This link explains the differences.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=A ... TMS8irl4t8
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

The relief shading just isn’t available where I fish, shallow water/inshore from Carabelle to Keaton beach. FMT looks interesting but it’s too much $ for what the type and amount of fishing I do.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I would recommend any option that has good satellite overlay. I know Navionics Plus has a good image and it also has Community Edits and updates. Fellow Navionics Plus users can and do share rock locations which do not show up on maps.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

I recently upgraded from the Humminbird 997c-si with Navionics Platinum Chip to a Simrad with FMT. (Retirement present from wife). In my opinion there is no comparison. Take a look at the video linked below and fast forward through to get to the area east of St. Marks. The FMT guy does a good job comparing the FMT to Nav Plat and while he's biased, I agree with him. The FMT charts for this area have been updated since the video I linked to was made so the detail is even better now.

Lastly, FMT can be run with Lowrance which is much more cost effective than Simrad. I haven't seen FMT on a Lowrance other than on You Tube but I've heard it is still a very good picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znRKadSWn0I

PS - my Humminbird will be going up for sale next week and will include the unit, mount, Platinum card and transducer.
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

Thanks for all the help & taking time to respond.
I purchased the Garmin Echomap i mentioned above yesterday.
One thing that surprised me about the Garmin units. Even with them owning Navionics, the Garmin units are not compatible with Navionics chips. If you want to update the mapping on a Garmin unit, you have to go with Garmin Blue Chart. I will use the unit as is for now to see if an upgrade is even needed. The unit does feature Navionics Data already.
You almost need to be a Rocket Scientist to sort out all the info on brands, models, charts, upgrades........
Happy Fishing & dodge those, Rocks!!!
rmax

Post by rmax »

Yes, sometimes it makes you just want to go back to the simple bottom flasher.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

woodstock52 wrote: March 15th, 2022, 8:23 amOne thing that surprised me about the Garmin units. Even with them owning Navionics, the Garmin units are not compatible with Navionics chips. If you want to update the mapping on a Garmin unit, you have to go with Garmin Blue Chart.
I thought the Echomap UHD 7/9 was compatible with Navionics?

https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts-fo ... rtplotters
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Yes, they are now. This was a very recent release. But you have to use Garmin Navionics chip or downloads, if you had a navionics card from a different mfd they will not work in the Garmin.
woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Post by woodstock52 »

They are not compatible. You can go to the Navionics web site & check there. They do have some of their data preinstalled in the units. John at BPS said he heard they plan on releasing a compatible version soon. I was there on Wednesday & he confirmed they won't work right now & the web site also shows them not being compatible. I have not installed my unit yet due to the need of a longer Ram mount I had to order. I hope to get it early next week.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

I just bought the same unit a few days ago as well.

I have to say, coming from using an iPad with the Navionics app and an old machine just for depth/temp, I was very underwhelmed with the details in the Garmin map.

The Navionics app has a LOT more detail, hazards, intuitive layout, and user generated content.

It looks like I can link my Navionics subscription to the Garmin unit through my phone, but I haven't had time to try that out yet.

Where I'm at right now (only a few days in, so I'm sure I'll figure more features out) I think I would have been better off just getting a dedicated iPad with Navionics app for inshore fishing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ropeman

Post by ropeman »

PhishingNole wrote: March 18th, 2022, 10:49 am I think I would have been better off just getting a dedicated iPad with Navionics app for inshore fishing.
I've been thinking about doing that as well. As long as you are inshore near St Marks the wireless signal is good. Econfina was a little spotty last time I was there.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

ropeman wrote:
PhishingNole wrote: March 18th, 2022, 10:49 am I think I would have been better off just getting a dedicated iPad with Navionics app for inshore fishing.
I've been thinking about doing that as well. As long as you are inshore near St Marks the wireless signal is good. Econfina was a little spotty last time I was there.
I downloaded the maps to the iPad, so cell signal was not required, just the GPS.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk