New to Area looking for Boat Ramp Advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Richard1572

New to Area looking for Boat Ramp Advice

Post by Richard1572 »

Hello all,

I'm new to the area and looking for some boat launch advice. I'm searching for a boat to use inshore but right now all I have is my Grady White 272 which while she isn't a huge boat I do need a decent ramp to launch from and she squats when getting on plane so needs a bit of water. I loaded all the public numbers from this website on my Garmin and was thinking of trying Lanark to go out and drown a shrimp or something.

First question, would Lanark be my best bet in the Wakulla, Franklin county area to launch?

If I launch at Lanark, I see a couple of markers for the entrance to the ramp but I don't see anything indicating if I should go East (left) or West (right) to get around the bank just south of the boat ramp?

I've also taken look at Rock Landing and St Marks both look doable but I just don't want to get stuck either on the ramp or not have enough water to get to the channel. Reading this forum some folks mentions Shields Marina but from their website it doesn't look like they have a public boat launch anymore?

Any insights would be appreciated.
Last edited by Richard1572 on March 22nd, 2023, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomtrpr_z71

Re: New to Area looking for Boat Ramp Advice

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

St Marks would be fine in town but not the lighthouse

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Lanark is not the ramp for a 27' Grady. Too shallow, with no marked channel, and it's a private club you have to join. Go on down the road to Carrabelle. Several very nice launch at any tide ramps and a clearly marked deep channel. It's a short run back towards Lanark from there.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

For a 27' boat St Marks Fort would be plenty of room (as doomtrpr said), but the St Marks Lighthouse ramp would be a little tight. I haven't launched at Shields in a while, but I think it was $5 per launch last time I was there and it should be fine for you. If you are talking about the Lanark Boat Club ramp I thought you had to be a member ($100/yr) or pay $10 per launch. I've never been outside the bar there because we scallop near shore. Rock Landing would be fine as long as you watch the channel markers. A friend of mine launches his 26' boat out of Mashes Sands boat ramp because it's closer to the deep water, but gets a little shallow at the channel mouth and you there are oyster bars all around.

Were are you coming from?
Richard1572

Post by Richard1572 »

I'll be coming from the Wakulla Springs\Crawfordville area so Panacea or St Marks are both pretty close. However if I can drive a few miles to be closer to the deep water I'll always opt for that as even at 8 miles a gallon the truck is much better on gas than the boat. I was looking at Carabelle and really didn't see anything available to the public. I'm not looking for something for free, fee based is fine. I saw this place called The Moorings but according to their online rate schedule it was $50 ($25 in and $25 out) but that doesn't seem right.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Carrabelle has a public launch on Marine St and another one on Pirates Landing Dr (across the bridge)
Snapperlr

Post by Snapperlr »

Launch my 30 Cat at St. Marks all the time. No issues unless its an abnormal low tide.
Richard1572

Post by Richard1572 »

Thanks all for the information. I think I'll give St Marks a shot.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If you want to access the Lanark area, the Carrabelle city ramp is a good place. The ramp has good depth and the tie off dock has plenty of room. There is a lot of parking area available also. The fee is $10 per launch and there is an annual pass available for non-residents at $120.00 per year.
https://www.mycarrabelle.com/recreation/boat-ramps/