Storing rods while trailering?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Which location do you place your fishing rods when trailering?

In the vertical rod holders on the boat.
20%
In the horizontal rod holders of the boat.
20%
Laying on the lower deck of the boat.
40%
In the bed of the truck.
10%
Other, explain below.
10%

Total votes: 10

leonreno

Storing rods while trailering?

Post by leonreno »

I have a question and thought I would poll you guys for your opinions. When I trailer my boat I always lay my rods in the bottom deck of the boat. I don’t like the idea of them in the vertical rod holders, always afraid something would hit them, or they would get bugs on them. I don’t have horizontal rod holders in the gunnels. Could put them in the truck bed but that’s usually full of coolers and such. Where do y’all store your rods when trailering?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Storing rods while trailering?

Post by fishinfool »

From a repair and maintenance view, I would recommend the most secure place you have available. Somewhere there is the least amount of vibration, jostling, or chance of impact. Something else to keep in mind, if you have your rods and reels in the boat, dust, dirt sand from the road being stirred up by your truck as well as the vehicles around you can get in the reels and roller guides. A cover of some kind is a good idea. This can be as simple as a plastic shopping bag to the neoprene reel covers available.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have had issues with every type of rod storage. I used to just use the vertical rod holders down each side of my console, but I live down a rural road in the Monticello area so sometimes I would snag a tree limb along the way. Especially if it had been raining and the limbs were sagging lower than normal. Either you break a rod tip or sometimes you empty your reel of all the braided line.

So, I bought one of those straps that goes across your rods when you lay them down on the front deck. This works fine, but if you travel down a dusty road, your reels will get covered in dust. Also, the lures tend to tangle with the other rods so there will be some time spent sorting them out later.

I tried putting all the rods into an old pillow case or garbage bag when trailering and that helps some with the dust, but you have to remember to do it every time.

The reels I use now are Daiwa's that cost about $100 - $120 and last about 3 years. After that length of time, they are normally ready for retirement anyway. I sold all of my Shimano's to one of the clerks at Kevin's because I was paying Shimano to put new bearings in them each year. The Shimano's were higher end and about twice the price of the Daiwa's.

- Steve Stinson
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

I use both horizontal and vertical storage. I tend to take too may rods :-)

Rods in the vertical holders are the ones I expect to use.

Rods in the horizontal holders are the ones I might use.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

mine are locked in truck bed. 8' truck bed and cover are preferred. Otherwise, locked in my rod locker. Put coolers and other stuff in the boat. Protect the rods and reels!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I have an SUV with a headliner bungee/strap system that keeps them secured up top in the cab and out of most view

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image