Cape San Blas 9/16 - 9/21

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Nolzman

Cape San Blas 9/16 - 9/21

Post by Nolzman »

I'm taking the family down to a Beach House on Cape San Blas Florida will be doing some fishing. I'll be pulling my three kayaks (Manta Ray 14, Ultimate 12, and Jackson Coosa) and whatever salt gear I have, including three big surf rods. The house is on the river side of the Cape just before the bend out to the long Peninsula. The problem is I know very little about salt fishing.

Can anybody offer any instruction or tips on where and how to fish the Surf and Bay? I believe I have all the rods needed for Surf and In-shore fishing. I also have some in-shore tackle (i.e. DOA shrimp, Gulp shrimp and crab, etc...). Does anybody have any tips on lures to use in the Surf? What is the best way to get some cut bait for the Surf Rods? This is kind of information I need to get me started.

Also, if anybody is down that way the week of 9/16, your welcome to stop in and do some fishing.

Does anybody have any information on fishing this side of the Cape?

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Cape San Blas 9/16 - 9/21

Post by MudDucker »

Your area is pointing to the C30 area. The blue balloon is at the lighthouse, which is very near the stump hole. From that point to the rocks is one of the best fishing spots on the gulf side for surf fishing. In the bay, most local fish with LY's caught via cast net and spoons. Fish the grass fingers in the bay.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Nolzman

Post by Nolzman »

Hey MudDucker,

Thanks for a reply. What is area C30? Is that the area in front of the house. Do you know what the surf fishing is like directly in front of the house as indicated by the arrow?

Where are the "rocks"? Is that the bend in cape? So, the best surf fishing is from the Light House to the southern end of the cape at the bend?

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

No, this arrow is pointed to the beginning of the Cape. The Cape is from where C30E turns off of C30 to the Stump Hole (you can see the Gulf on one side and the Bay on the other side of the road. From the Stump Hole to the end of the State Park is actually St. Joseph's Peninsula. Most folks call the area on C30 from the intersection with C30E back toward the intersection with 98 as the C30 area.

C30 the road is the road that cuts off of 98 and follows the coastline and then rejoins with 98. C30E is the road that turns off of C30 and runs out the Cape and then out the Peninsula until it dead ends in the State Park.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
emma999

Post by emma999 »

Nolzman wrote: September 11th, 2012, 9:51 am I'm taking the family down to a Beach House on Cape San Blas Florida will be doing some fishing. I'll be pulling my three kayaks (Manta Ray 14, Ultimate 12, and Jackson Coosa) and whatever salt gear I have, including three big surf rods. The house is on the river side of the Cape just before the bend out to the long Peninsula. The problem is I know very little about salt fishing.

Can anybody offer any instruction or tips on where and how to fish the Surf and Bay? I believe I have all the rods needed for Surf and In-shore fishing. I also have some in-shore tackle (i.e. DOA shrimp, Gulp shrimp and crab, etc...). Does anybody have any tips on lures to use in the Surf? What is the best way to get some cut bait for the Surf Rods? This is kind of information I need to get me started.

Also, if anybody is down that way the week of 9/16, your welcome to stop in and do some fishing.

What's your usual attire also when you are fishing? Do you also wear a poncho? I love wearing a poncho when I'm fishing and I buy all my poncho from https://ozponcho.com.au/.

Does anybody have any information on fishing this side of the Cape?

Hey there! It sounds like you have an exciting fishing trip planned to Cape San Blas, Florida. While I'm not an expert in saltwater fishing, I can provide some general tips to get you started.

For surf fishing, it's essential to have the right equipment, and it seems like you're well-prepared with your surf rods. When it comes to lures for the surf, popular options include spoons, jigs, and soft plastic baits like swimbaits and jerkbaits. It might be worth trying different colors and sizes to see what the fish in that area respond to best.

To get some cut bait for your surf rods, you can consider using fresh local baitfish like mullet or menhaden. If you're unable to catch your own, you can check with local bait shops for availability.

As for fishing the bay or inshore, your inshore tackle and lures like DOA shrimp and Gulp shrimp and crab should work well. Make sure to adjust your techniques based on the target species you're going for.

To gather specific information about fishing on that side of the Cape, I recommend reaching out to local fishing communities or forums dedicated to fishing in the area. They often have experienced anglers who can provide more detailed tips and advice based on the current conditions and local knowledge.

Lastly, it's wonderful that you're open to fishing with others. Hopefully, you'll find some fishing buddies who can join you during your trip. Have an amazing time exploring the beautiful waters of Cape San Blas and good luck with your fishing adventures!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

The bay is awesome; like the Discovery channel. All your normal salt water patterns (topwater, popping cork, jerk baits and twitch baits) will produce. Try to find patches or broken bottom vs a carpet of grass. I don’t use live bait in the Bay, never found it necessary, but many guides do.

For surf fishing Scallop Cove now has a bait vending machine so you can get frozen bait 24x7. That is a good stop in general if you want life bait or assisted with your set-up. Have fun!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.