Oyster Bed

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Panhandlegirl

Oyster Bed

Post by Panhandlegirl »

Hey Guys,

I am new to salt water fishing, grew up fishing fresh. I am going to Mashes Sands this Saturday, and my idea is to fish the oyster bed there.
Any advice for what time is best, and what bait to use. Any advice would be helpful.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Oyster Bed

Post by dombern34 »

Oyster bars will be in an area like a bay, or flat, or creek, where the water is shallow enough to expose the bar at low tide, yet deep enough to cover the oysters at high tide. So, low tide is the best time to look for them. An oyster bar will usually have relatively deeper water next to it on one side, even at low tide. This deeper water is what you are looking for. Bars out in the open on a shallow flat will not have a deep side, but they can still be fished. Bars with adjacent deep water are best fished on the last of the outgoing tide and first of the incoming tide.
Fish are driven to the deeper water by the outgoing tide. As the tide drops, they move off the flats and out of the creeks. The deeper water will hold them and provides a natural travel route. Bars that are in shallow water can’t be fished at the low end of the tide, mainly because the water is to shallow to get to them! Fish these bars on the incoming tide up to high and maybe an hour or so past high tide. Then plan to get out before you get stranded at low tide! if you are going to be in a boat just be careful and make sure you don't drift over another bed in the process of fishing another. power pole down if you can or anchor.

I would throw a simple gulp on a jig head or a gold spoon. if you get there early enough try a top water plug. if it is windy fish the leeward side (calm side) of the bed. I'm assuming that your amount of saltwater tackle is slim right now cause you said you're new. you won't need much to get started. hope this helps you get started and whatever i've missed i'm sure someone will add to it. have fun, be safe and Good luck
Panhandlegirl

Post by Panhandlegirl »

Thank you so much, you gave me a lot of good advice, I can't wait to use it. I do have a john boat, but I don't think I am going to use it. I was just going to put some tennis shoes on and walk out to the bed itself, I know where it's at, I seen it one day when the tide was low. Had no idea about deeper water around the bed, I wonder how would I find that. Do you think some shrimp with out a weight on it would work? Thanks for responding to me....I greatly appreciate it.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Great info from Dom. If I were going to wade, I'd probably go to bald point and wade those bars. It is on the opposite side of the bay from Mashe. Hi tide is around noon. The solar lunar calandar says the best time is 8-11. I'd fish daybreak till noonish. If your not tired, you can fish the outgoing tide also. Freelined shrimp would work fine. Take some split shot sinkers in case the current is ripping. I'd also fish a gold spoon and jig w gulp shrimp or jerkshad. Good luck post a report.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Panhandlegirl wrote:Thank you so much, you gave me a lot of good advice, I can't wait to use it. I do have a john boat, but I don't think I am going to use it. I was just going to put some tennis shoes on and walk out to the bed itself, I know where it's at, I seen it one day when the tide was low. Had no idea about deeper water around the bed, I wonder how would I find that. Do you think some shrimp with out a weight on it would work? Thanks for responding to me....I greatly appreciate it.
Shrimp will work almost any time, Please be CAREFULL wading on the oyster bars because if you step wrong or slip and fall you will get hurt and or cut badly. the oyster shells are very sharp and tennis shoes provide limited protection. also when wading out to the bars shuffle your feet along in place of taking large steps. This is to keep you from stepping on a ray. HAVE FUN.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

It's been several years, but we never found very much water at Mash's, except as far west as you could go, right on the edge of the river coming out. Caught some fish on the drop-off there before. Sent an out of towner to Bald Point a couple of weeks ago, and he did pretty good fishing the way you say you want to. He was from Pensacola, and they fish a lot of mirrorlures out there. It worked here for him.

You can also do what me and the boys did for years, go west in the park and fish the bottom with carolina rigs and shrimp. You don't have to fool with the oyster bars if you get to the west of them, and the ripping current is much less as well.

Before we had a boat, it was our go to spot, caught many redfish, some trout, and a few other species there. When the tides in, you don't even have to get wet, when it's out, it's way out.

Agree with S. Gator about what time to go. Never did much there after about 2 hours after low.
Panhandlegirl

Post by Panhandlegirl »

Alright, Im all set. Got me a new pole,got some new tackle.Change in plans,got a friends boat.Its a little bit bigger than my john boat lol. They have taken in in the salt water before. So now what? Lol I guess Ill be able to fish on the beds without getting cut. I dont know where to find the bar at alligator point,the only reason i know about mashes sand bar was because when i was swimming out there one afternoon, the tide was low and exposed the bar.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I would venture to say you are pumped up?
Team Jolly Mon