Alligator point wintertime

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

malonea

Alligator point wintertime

Post by malonea »

Just got down to alligator point and am staying by the marina. Was wondering if anyone could give me any tips for fishing this time of year? I am happy catching anything but have only fished here in the summers. Dont have a boat but do have a dock that goes out into the bay and the surf on the opposite side. Any information is helpful, fished for an hour today and got no bites. I always have had bites on previous visits. Thanks!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator point wintertime

Post by SS-342 »

Find the fish and they will bite. Can't help you because I don't know that area. Find a bait shop or marina and ask them where the fish are located.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bman

Post by bman »

The weather changes have the fish a little confused... Folks are catching them up the rivers as you would expect in the winter.
But I know some others that have had great bites in typical summer areas.
AGP is difficult because so much of it is shallow. I would try to find deeper water near flats. Maybe off the boat channel leading from the marina?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Bald Point, which is not too far from you is normally good and also accessible by wading or shore fishing.
malonea

Post by malonea »

thanks guys! We hooked into a small hammerhead this morning on the surf but that was it for the morning. What river would be good to try? I don't know those at all. I've been to bald point in the summer and never had any luck off the pier there. Would it be different now or have all the fish moved to deeper water?
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I was at the Bald Point pier a few days ago and caught some trout and reds all under sized. I did hook something that I never saw finally had to grab the spool and hold it to keep from losing $50 worth of line. When I did it spit the hook. Another guy their netted fifty one mullet in on throw. It was all him and his gal could do to pull them on the beach.
malonea

Post by malonea »

Thanks for the info hiljun. I will give it a try. I'm guessing high tide will be better because of the deeper water? Do you mind if I ask what you were throwing?
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I was fishing frozen shrimp on the bottom. The other folks out their where fishing live shrimp. My frozen shrimp had been warm a few days and smelt terrible. If you don't know the area try to get out there on low tide or you may wind up hung on the oysters. I have been seeing lots of dolphins too.
malonea

Post by malonea »

Ok thanks I'll give it a go here soon. I know where those beds are because I've been there on low tide but I'm sure I could forget and still get snagged up so thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know how I make out
malonea

Post by malonea »

I went to bald point, not much biting for me. Caught one small pinfish but that was it. Also tried out carabelle river the other day, caught some smaller trout and a couple other small sheepshead. Had one that I did hook that seemed of good size, broke my line before I could see what it was.