St. Marks 1/5/14

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chris.harris388

St. Marks 1/5/14

Post by chris.harris388 »

The roommate and I decided to try our luck down at St. Marks by the lighthouse on Sunday. I met a guy that uses this site as well and he was kind enough to let us fish with him. We tried the oyster bed at low tide then tried the old dock and one creek at high tide with no luck. Used live shrimp, gulp, and cut mullet with no bites all day. Only thing biting was the no-see-ums and they were fierce. I think the cold front that came through messed everything up. The only action on the day was a dolphin in super shallow water attacking mullet like it was a shark. Pretty crazy sight to see.
ontiltttttt

Re: St. Marks 1/5/14

Post by ontiltttttt »

Better than a good day at the office :beer:
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks for the report. It isn't every day you will find them. About the time you think you are getting good, it will happen! More reason to go back!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I've seen those porpoises do that down at Ft. Desoto Park south of Tampa while I was wading. A group of them herded a school of mullet right up to me, then began to toss them high in the air with their tails. The same fish that tossed the mullet would then spin around and eat it when it hit the water and was stunned for a few seconds. Really something to see, but it does mess up the fishing for a while.