SGI Cut

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AUTiger

SGI Cut

Post by AUTiger »

Heading to St George on Sunday (Mar30) and staying until next Sunday with my wife and 4 boys. My family got a last minute deal in the Plantation, so I will have access to the Cut. I've never had the opportunity to fish the cut, so I'm looking for any help on how to fish it from the beach. I've got a cast net and know where to catch finger mullet, and other places to fish on the island, just not sure how to fish the cut. Thank you for any help.
carolinaskiff238dlv

Re: SGI Cut

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

Try the State Park at the end of the Island. Lots of good oyster bars.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

There can be a lot of water movement through the cut. I used to fish there the first week in May and we caught a bunch of different fish using alewives (caught in the castnet) using a slip rig on the bottom. We caught spanish, blues, trout, ladies, sharks, redfish, and flounder. I used 3/0 hooks and 1/2 to 3/4 oz sinkers with about 2 feet of 17-25 lb fluorocarbon leader. Be prepared to lose a lot of hooks and rigs. I love fishing braid, but this is not the best application for it. I have also caught fish using soft plastics under a popping cork about halfway out on the jetty on the surfside. Enjoy and send a post letting us know how you did.
bbb

Post by bbb »

Fish with the freshest bait you can find. Live shrimp on a jig head. Live sand fleas on a Nylure. Mud minnows. Walk on the rocks about halfway to the end and fish back towards the beach for Trout, Reds and Pompano. Drag the mud minnow around the rocks for flounder. If you can't walk the rocks, wade out to waist deep water and stay 70-80 yards from the rocks, but cast that direction.

You can also fish inside the cut for the same and also Spanish. Just keep an eye out for the guide boats. They know the best tides and bait for the cut, so if you see them drifting, try to match what they are doing.

Best bet to catch fish at the cut is usually right before sunrise to 8am. A North, NW or W wind will have the beach side calm and clearer. The fish will like this. With a South or South East wind, the water will be a mess and the fishing will probably be tough.

Best to have a long handle net to scoop up the fish so they don't get in the rocks.

A pic from the good ole days. These pompano were all caught within the first hour of daylight(2 consecutive mornings), fishing from the rocks with nylures tipped with a sand flea.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

That is great info Dale. The pomps are showing up now so he should be able to catch a few. Sand Fleas are hard to come by now. My sand flea honey hole is not producing yet.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

I fished the cut two summers ago with a bunch of friends hoping for some of the bull reds that Sike's Cut is famous for, but ended up an even crazier story.

We fished the beach to the right of the rocks and we were able to net a bunch of huge mullet that were being chased around by something big. After cutting up some fresh mullet and waiting for the school to show up again, a HUGE tarpon jumped feet in front of us and after getting over the initial shock, we began casting towards it. Moments later, both my buddy and I hooked up with some mid-sized tarpon that gave one jump each and then popped the line. There was ZERO chance I was gonna bring in a tarpon with 10lb test but it was quite the adrenaline rush.

We finished the day with a nice black drum and a triggerfish caught right off the rocks. The BSB were THICK off the rocks but were all extremely small.

Good luck!
AUTiger

Post by AUTiger »

Spent time at the youth ramp in the state park. Was looking for finger mullet but did not see any. We did catch other bait minnows, a couple were bull minnows do not know what the others were.

With a falling high tide, I was getting taps, finally got the hook set on one after loosing 6 or 7 minnows. It was a spec 16 inches. Could not get the hook set on the others. All there were doing was tapping it.

Have not made it to the cut yet. Perhaps hit that tomorrow.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

For Auburn Fans, we highly recommend that two fresh mullet be butterflied and hung from your belt. After hanging mullet from your belt, wade into the cut on either end of the island until water tickles your chin. Wait patiently for bite. The carrying of a fishing pole is entirely optional and has been known to get caught in shark's teeth when feeding. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
dondford

Post by dondford »

Mud Ducker
That's funny!....... Also as funny as seeing two UG coaches lying face down on the field after the last score in the 2013 game. 43-38

D
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

dondford wrote:Mud Ducker
That's funny!....... Also as funny as seeing two UG coaches lying face down on the field after the last score in the 2013 game. 43-38

D
That was funny alright. You know what's even funnier? This:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh59ijksAJs

Eat 'em like a tiger... :wink:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

dondford wrote:Mud Ducker

D
Yep, what's a screamer is the guy who threw the ball was kicked out of UGA as a thief, but quickly found a home at the AU home for wayward children. :o
dondford

Post by dondford »

Yeah, it worked out pretty good for Auburn to give this kid a second chance. They gave Cam Newton a second chance also, after he was kicked out of Florida for being a thief and that also worked out well. It seems most Div I football teams have that type of problems nowadays. Of course, I will compare AU's arrested football players list against UG's any day!

Peace,
D
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

dondford wrote:Yeah, it worked out pretty good for Auburn to give this kid a second chance. They gave Cam Newton a second chance also, after he was kicked out of Florida for being a thief and that also worked out well. It seems most Div I football teams have that type of problems nowadays. Of course, I will compare AU's arrested football players list against UG's any day!

Peace,
D
Rap sheet to rap sheet, you guys would be the SEC rap sheet champs. Big difference is that an AU player could shoot the chief and not get arrested at Auburn. A UGA player can sneeze and get arrested with all the idiot popo in Athens.

Before y'all lured our recruiting coordinator away, your motto was ... if you cant' recruit em', rehab em'.

:smt005