Alligator Point

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

keeler5

Alligator Point

Post by keeler5 »

I will be vacationing in Alligator Point the first part of June. Would really like to try some surf fishing while there. Any info on what to fish for, type of bait to use, or any locations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any replies.
kikstand454

Re: Alligator Point

Post by kikstand454 »

The only edible fish i have caught off the surfside of AP is whiting. Unless you like gafftops.....in which case theres a million of them! I would say all the years fishing from shore there with shrimp or squid I have had 30% catfish, 60% sharks and 10% OTHER. (Whiting, ladyfish, jack cravelle, stingrays...)

Oh wait...I caught a sea bass off the rocks there in front of the store one time......

Now the BAY side on the other hand....;)8-)

~~Dave
ontiltttttt

Re: Alligator Point

Post by ontiltttttt »

Surf fishing at AP is usually hit or miss.

If you're using cut bait, the catfish and sharks will keep you busy and the reds will sometimes cruise the beach during the tide changes. Some of my most fond memories from my undergrad have come from surf fishing at AP with my buddies. For example, last summer my buddy caught a 30" red right from the surf using fresh shrimp on the bottom and a flounder on a spoon (which was the weirdest thing I've ever seen; must've been an EXTREMELY hungry flounder).

If you're lucky enough to find a school of whiting, they're fun to catch and sure do taste good after a bath in some hot oil :lick:. As stated above, shrimp on the bottom (on a knocker rig or fish finder rig) is my usual go-to bait/rig but I've also netted HUGE mullet in ankle deep water and then used those as cut bait. Lastly, I've had pretty decent luck with the shrimp flavored Fish Bites; the whiting eat it up and they stay on the hook forever. Earlier this year I threw a small whiting into the wash as bait and something picked it up and nearly spooled my reel, so the big boys are out there!

Let us know how you do!