Newbie needs advice surf casting gear

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dondford

Newbie needs advice surf casting gear

Post by dondford »

We go camping at Port St Joe state park each month; this past week I saw several guys catching pompano from the beach and want to try my hand. I know nothing about the needed gear and are asking for advice. Can y'all recommend an affordable entry level spinning reel/rod combo suitable for this type fishing.
Thanking y'all in advance for any help.

DF
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Newbie needs advice surf casting gear

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

GO DOWN TO WALMART, THEY HAVE SOME PRETTY NICE COMBO'S AT A REASONABLE PRICE, UNDER $50,JUST BE SURE YOU CLEAN THE COMBO UP AFTER EACH OUTING.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If you are in the Tallahassee area. Academy sports and Kevin's seem to have the best prices and good selection of entry level gear. In addition to washing it off, don't ever let the reels drop in the sand. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Daiwa's Emcast rods and reels look reasonable as far as price and quality. I would recommend a rod in the 10 to 11 foot range. Shorter will not give you the casting distance you might be looking for. I believe there is a combo available for around $150
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

If you are or know someone who is a member of Sam's Club, they have a good quality Penn spinning reel and 7 ft. medium action rod for sale around $100 at the Tallahassee store. The reel alone goes for $99 at local stores; it's really a good all around fishing combo for most inshore Florida fishing.
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

The gear is not important anything that will cast and retrieve will work. The bait is what is important watch the sand as the waves retreat for movement or irregularities. Start digging with your hands in that spot and you should find some sand fleas. You put them on a hook and you will likely catch fish. Walmart has a twenty dollar combo that I caught lots of fish on before I decided to invest in a good one. I use a 3 oz pyramid weight on drop rigs (gulf side 1 oz bay side). Try and get the heaviest swivels they have or you will loose some fish.
dondford

Post by dondford »

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been doing a bunch of reading; I want to focus on pompano, whiting, other good eating fish I can catch close in. I think I need a med action setup suitable for small-med fish. I want a spin combo with a 10 foot rod and reel loaded with 200ish yds 20# line and will likely fish a 2-4 oz sinker. Sand fleas can be caught in the Cape San Blas area and shrimp bait can be bought locally. Several guys were catching pomps with pink shrimp FishBites and the tackle shop guy said Gulp Shrimp do well also. I would want a fairly decent entry level combo and willing to spend around 100 bucks. Any advice on specific (brands, stores, mail-order outfit etc) combos? If aware of anyone offering something like this, please advise.

Thanking y'all in advanch.

Don
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

Sams in tally has a Penn battle 4000 on 7' rod $99. It's not ten foot but it is a deal. I fish the same conditions on SGI with a Penn battle 3000 on a 7' rod and with a 3 oz pyramid weight I get all the distance I need. Too put that much 20# line it will have to be braid. The Penn has a rubber grip on the real so you don't have to back it with mono. I would buy one if I hadn't just spent $300 on mine. I got a much nicer rod but in the surf I would rather have a stiffer one. The display is a road show so it could change any time.
dondford

Post by dondford »

Thanks Hiljun:

I will check that combo out. I had several folks recommend a 10 foot rod, but in checking I have found that the type combo's I've looking for that 7 footer are common and few 10 footers. What type line (mono or braid), wt and yardage would you recommend for a newbie like me fishing the area for pomp, whiting, ect and trying to to keep the cost down.

Thanks again
Don
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I use 20# power pro braid it is good for the surf but not for throwing a lure on the flats. It is way more than you need but when you hook a 60# drum you stand a good chance of landing it. I personally would take the reel off carry it in the basspro (of course check it at the door) and let them spool it for you. I belive if you buy the line there they will spool it for free. Here is the cheapest I found the reel and its capacity. You can put more and heavier braid on any reel.

http://www.usaboatstore.com/Penn-120610 ... ed=Froogle
dondford

Post by dondford »

Once again, thanks

D