St. Marks

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

akasephiroth

St. Marks

Post by akasephiroth »

I've heard talk of the st. marks lighthouse fishing before. Gramp's use to tell story's of his fishing trips at the lighthouse. Is this still an option? Can you fish from shore at the St. Marks lighthouse? if so whats bitting this time of year? what can i expect? thanks in advance
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks

Post by MudDucker »

akasephiroth wrote:I've heard talk of the st. marks lighthouse fishing before. Gramp's use to tell story's of his fishing trips at the lighthouse. Is this still an option? Can you fish from shore at the St. Marks lighthouse? if so whats bitting this time of year? what can i expect? thanks in advance
Yep, sure can. Mosquitoes are biting very there good these days! Things aren't like they used to be in your gramps day or my day for the matter, but you can pick up fish from there. Don't plan a big fry though.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

[quote="akasephiroth"whats bitting this time of year? what can i expect? thanks in advance[/quote]

I would think Reds, Speckle Trout, Black Sea Bass, Flounder, Lady Fish, Catfish, Pin Fish and a host of other species of fish. The number of fish might be down because of the fishing pressure in that area but that is not saying on a good day fish can't be caught. A good place to get your feet wet and learn how.

Looking forward to your stories and the "big one that got away"!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Iv waded those two oyster bars in front of the lighthouse since I was about 8 years old. There are some very good fish to catch from those bars. I have personally have caught just about everything that swims in our inshore waters of the gulf from those bars. The key is you can't be afraid to get wet. Get out away from the shore and fish the end of the bars. I have caught 90% of my fish off the end of those bars. I have caught trout, redfish, flounder, cobia, small grouper, spanish macks, bluefish, sheepshead, black drum, sea bass, mango snapper, etc. Doesn't really matter what tide sequence it is as long as you have moving water. Shrimp works well there but we usually switch to cut bait in the summer due to the insane amount of shrimp killing pinfish in the area. Good luck with it! :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

Also worth catching a few of those pinfish and using them for bait. They are great live but are also good for cut bait. Try one on a float and one on the bottom. This time of year the float will get a lot of action from smaller sharks. If you're patient and work thru them you can hook up some quality fish!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk