Which beach to surf fish at night from?

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Which beach to surf fish at night from?

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Which beach would you recommend to surf fish at night from for whiting and sharks?
I was told to fish at Cape San Blas beach at night from around 7 pm to 11 pm with cut mullet.
I was also wondering if I could do well from St George Island too.
Will there be a issue with no see ums?
Can I fish at night off the beach?
Any information would greatly be appreciated!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Which beach to surf fish at night from?

Post by DEMON »

Both those are good & you can add Alligator Point as well. A little breeze takes care of the bugs.
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I fish SGI a lot and have found that the tide plays a big role. I have an east end pass if you want to try it out. I do fish at night a lot on SGI mostly because that happens to be the low tide when I get to go. Keep the lights of and the bugs aren't to bad.
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Thank you! Let me ask you, have you fished at night on the beach around the main SGI beach area? What have you caught at night? Can I stay late at night?
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

I fish in the park and have a pass so I can stay as late as I want. I only fish in the park so that's all I can speak to. I have caught reds, whiting, pompano and cats. I learn more about it every time I go. I am going to try ghost crabs next time and see what happens. I have noticed larger fish after dark. I don't try to catch sharks but wind up with one occasionally.
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Thanks.
so why did you say no lights at night?
Does that distract the fish?
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

Lights attract bugs you will be sitting there enjoying life and the next thing you know your fightng for it. Wind and dark are your friends. The sea turtles are also coming in to lay now so they ask you to not have lights on the beach at night. If you go on a full moon you won't need lights other wise just use them when you need them. I will be there tonight I fish just east of the second bath house in the park low tide is about 9 so I probably won't stay much past that unless they are bitting. I give a report tomorrow. Lights don't distract the fish but just the opposite some of the best night fishing I have ever done was under a light on a pier.
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Did you catch anything that last night?
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

Two pompano in the cooler. Had three more get off. Nothing after dark though. I going to try smaller hooks next week I was using 4/0.