Fishin in Carrabelle

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WallStreetNole

Fishin in Carrabelle

Post by WallStreetNole »

Folks,

Thanks so much for all the content. I've been reading quite a bit.

I'm taking a trip and am staying at the Morrows from 9/18- 9/21 in Carrabelle. I was thinking of taking Friday and Fishing at SGI. I had surf fished there quite a bit as a student at FSU and am excited to return. From the summer posts it appears to still be the place to go.

I'll be getting in on Thursday the 18th around lunch. Where are some spots in Carrabelle I could go surf fishing? I've heard Carrabelle beach will do just fine. Any tips or recommendations? My understanding is I can get plenty of bait at Morrows. Also for my Friday trip what beach access would you guys recommend. If I recall I can park on the a few of the numbered cross streets. I'm hoping to maybe try some top water early in the morning and do some shark fishing there after.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishin in Carrabelle

Post by silverking »

Unless it's a new spot, you must mean the Moorings in Carrabelle? For a short afternoon trip Thursday, Carrabelle Beach will work, although I'd recommend heading beyond the beach/swimming area towards the west (Apalach). On higher tides trout, reds and flounder will all move into the troughs between submerged sand bars.

For a full day Friday, best bet would be to drive over to SGI and buy an access pass for the East Pass area in the state park. Great wade fishing off the tip of the island, with the aforementioned species, plus Spanish mackerel, possibly pompano, and sharks galore, plus the stray tarpon or two. Big noisy topwater plugs like a Heddon One Knocker in bone or chrome will work or slowly bounce a 1/2-ounce DOA shrimp in gold glitter off the bottom (vs. the 1/4-ounce standard because of the swift current). The bayside grass flats just past the last pavilion in the park (there's a path through the dunes) are good also.

Wear wading booties or tennis shoes to protect your feet and be sure to shuffle as you wade. Lots of stingrays on the bottom.
WallStreetNole

Post by WallStreetNole »

Ahhhhh yes the Moorings, that's it! I booked several months back haha.

OK so you vote for the state park at SGI. "Buy an access pass for the East Pass" Can you explain a little bit about what this gets me? How early can I get into the park?

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm looking up your top water lure. What is the best time to use one of those bad boys? Any one spot better than another for the top water action?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stgeor ... efault.cfm

Early and late with the topwater. By mid-morning at the latest, you need to get down in the water column with the DOA shrimp or a jig.

Water temps at the FSU Marine Lab today were 92 degrees. Hopefully it'll be a little cooler by the time you get down here.

Good luck.
WallStreetNole

Post by WallStreetNole »

Sounds great, thanks for the advice.
2true

Post by 2true »

Done a lot of wade fishing over at St Teresa right down the street from SGI. Fished East end of SGI plenty of times.

I would use a Knocker Rig Image on the bottom with pole holders in the sand and shrimp or cut for bait. (Make sure keep drag loose) Then use another pole for lures/topwater/Jiggin.

These are the ticket for the bay side 1/4 ounce 4.0 jig head Image + this Image (Gulp) You can also use them on the gulf side.

Jig them on the bottom.

For surf side:

Silver spoons/ Pompano Jigs Image tipped with shrimp for pomps.

Mirror Lure Green Back is a Great Lure to Throw.
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

If we get a cold front by then that gets us into the low 70's overnight I would definitely hit the east end of SGI one day.
WallStreetNole

Post by WallStreetNole »

Thanks guys, I'm saving all these notes for my prep. I'm really excited not to mention going to the big game that Saturday!

Any other tips for Carrabelle? I should be able to get out there by 2 or 3 that Thursday. I think I've got tons of great info for SGI on Friday.

I'd also like to do some night fishing in both places as well.
swsapalachicola

Post by swsapalachicola »

SGI state park opens at 8:00AM
WallStreetNole

Post by WallStreetNole »

What am I going to do from 5 to 8! lol
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

A little late on the post but the gate will open at 8 unless you have an annual pass. With it you can come as early as you want and stay as late as you want. For one trip though $120 is out of the question. Just fish nearby until 8 and head in then. I think you have to pay the entry fee and also purchase a East End pass. Seems like its about $15 but I may be off on that. Good luck and don't wade too deep!!!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
WallStreetNole

Post by WallStreetNole »

Thanks guys, anymore recommendations for top water lures to throw into the surf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

WallStreetNole wrote:Thanks guys, anymore recommendations for top water lures to throw into the surf?
Whatever you like. Topdog, skitterwalk, one knocker. Color probably doesn't matter much
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

I prefer a Zara spook in a pin fish pattern . It has a purple back. Then walk the dog at a steady pace. Lg reds really like it. 8) Good luck
Sea Ya !
WallStreetNole

Post by WallStreetNole »

Update!

Team,

I've returned from my trip and wanted to send a special thanks to the big bend fishing community. The information turned out to be very valuable.

After arriving at the Moorings on Thursday I went over to Carrabelle beach. I was catching lady fish on shrimp about as fast as I could throw the line in. Finally I threw the shrimp in a different direction and landed a really nice Pompano! Man did this sucker fight. Not sure how much he weighed but was about 16 inches long. It was a success for sure.

Friday I headed over to St. George's where I started out near the public beach access. The rain was starting but I didn't care. More lady fish and croakers were hitting on the surf but no sharks or pomps. By late morning I headed over to the state park where I hooked up on another pompano but this one was real small. The rains started really coming down and the storm was upon me. The wind was crazy and after a couple hours I had to call it quits but not before I reeled in a massive stingray! That was a fun catch! It took me forever to get the hook off though.

After lunch I headed over to the pier where it proceeded to rain even harder with massive winds. Caught another stringray (much smaller) but that was that. After about 10 hours of fishing I called it a day. The only bait the fish bit was shrimp. Not one bite on squid or sand fleas. That will be good to know next time.

The only bummer was that I didn't catch any sharks. I was using lady fish as the cut bait and I felt confident I would catch one with a freshly cut head dripping with blood. I don't think the weather helped me though. All in all it was a success. I'll do my best to post pics later if I can.