Need a new reel for my Tica surf rod

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Need a new reel for my Tica surf rod

Post by pcbayou »

Advise me please, y'all. I need to replace the reel on my 10-1/2-foot Tica surf rod. What can y'all suggest? I'd like to spend around $75 or preferably less. I've looked at the Penn Fierce II 6000 and the Okuma Trio 55s in stores, and I saw and liked the Okuma Distance Surf DS60 online. Tica's web site recommends their Scepter GX 8000, which I'm not familiar with and not sure I could find anyway. I'd like to have a braid-ready reel that can cast far enough to get past the first or second sandbar in the shallowish surf around Panama City. The old broken reel now on the rod is an Okuma Inspira 60, which apparently is discontinued. The rod is UEHA32002s, and here's a link to its specs: https://www.ticaamerica.com/index.php?o ... Itemid=269 Any suggestions?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Need a new reel for my Tica surf rod

Post by silverking »

Check out the Tsunami Shield reels. Extra seals to prevent water intrusion and smooth action.

They make a 6000 and 8000 version for under $120. I've tested the 3000 model and it's a quality reel for the price point.

Here's a link to Dick's. Tackle Direct also carries them and I believe Half Hitch in PCB is a dealer too.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ts ... shld400ree
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks, silverking. That reel looks like it's worth stretching the bungee on my budget. I have a small Tsunami reel I bought with a combo years ago, and it's so good I had to forfeit it to my trout-fishing/Skitterwalking wife. Your name sounds familiar to me, and I think we may have crossed paths before. I'll send you a PM so you can refresh my memory.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Replied to your PM.

Believe ApalacheeInshore is now using Tsunami Shield combos for his charter clients. Maybe he'll see this and chime in with his input.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks again!