Need some local advice for the ochlockonee bay area

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

We will be in that area in mid October and I have never fished there before. What should I expect and plan for? I have access to a dock on the Ochlockonee Bay but also wanted to explore some if anyone can suggest good areas for pier or surf fishing. Unfortunately flounder season will be closed by then but I'm hoping for some redfish and/or trout and weakfish action.

From what I have heard Bald point is supposed to be a good spot (for floating corks over oyster beds). I don't know if it is worth taking saltwater plugs (poppers, pencils, etc..) or just stick with soft and live baits.

We are only down there for a couple days so I don't know if it is worth taking a castnet or if there is a good bait store in the area.

I normally fish the OBX or the Chesapeake Bay so this will be a new experience for me. Any suggestions for spots, bait, rigging, or just general advice for the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Need some local advice for the ochlockonee bay area

Post by silverking »

Lots of possibilities, especially for October. Flounder won't be closed in the Gulf and the trout, reds will be very active. Can bring your cast net if you like, but the gas station at the bridge used to sell live bait, including shrimp. But the shrimp will be moving out of the marsh and into the bay, so you can also cast net them or finger mullet and mud minnows (killifish). Definitely want to bring some topwater and suspending plugs, along with soft plastics. A medium-light to medium spinning rod with a 3000 class reel and 10-15-pound braided line with a 20-pound leader will handle most anything you'd encounter.

For wading/shore Mashes Sands is good, so is Bald Point. The shoreline along Hwy 98 and Alligator Harbor (across the bridge) is another possibility. If you have access to a kayak at the rental, Tucker Lake (part of Bald Point State Park) is another cool spot. You can wade there some, but a yak will give more range. Levy Bay is another good kayak fishing area just a short drive away in Panacea.

Good luck and post up your results. By the way, your normal waters of the Outer Banks are pretty fishy, too. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Thank you, silverking. That helps a lot. Good to hear about the flounder. I had given up on catching them this year.
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Any suggestions for top water or suspending plugs for this area?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Heddon Super Spooks, MirrOlure Top Dogs and Rapala Skitter Walks are all good on top. Bone, white/red head and silver/black are popular colors.

For suspending, MirrOlure Catch 2000 or the 52M series, Rapala Twitchin' Raps and Unfair Rip-n-Slash. Gold patterns are also good, especially if there's a tannin tint to the water.

I always have some DOA 1/4-ounce shrimp in near clear or gold/glow in my tackle bag along with a few Aqua Dream weedless spoons in gold and pink.

Add a handful of CAL shad tails or Sureketch touts and some 1/8- and 1/4-ounce jig heads and you'll be set for the Forgotten Coast.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Fantastic! Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how we do.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I think you said you have access to a pier there. If you fish fresh shrimp or fresh cutbait off the far end of the pier, you might catch some good fish. A 1-2 oz. weight should be enough, depending on how swift the tide is running. Like most fishing, best with good water movement. I like to go out early. Good luck with it! :wink:
Yours in the South
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

There are no fish in those waters ... Image

SilverKing typed everything that came to mind; when reading your post. Fun area with tons of possibilities. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Very good info! Check the Navionics chart viewer to get an idea of the bars and grass beds. I've heard of a lot of fish caught off the bank at Bald Point.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=sozuDzfyaO
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and charts.

In your opinion is it worth taking a longer surf rod (11') or can I get away with standard inshore stuff (7'-9')? I don't know if what little added distance I could get would make any difference from what I can see of the bottom contour. Not the right area for 8bait&wait so the heavers are out (I have no real interest in shark fishing).

Thanks again.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

A surf rod would be way overkill.. stick with the lighter set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Good to know. Thank you.