Any updates on Alligator Point or St. Georges recently?

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

I will be heading down to Panacea in a couple weeks to fish for a couple days. This will be my first time there so I was hoping someone might have fished that area recently and be willing to share. I know there was a lot of recent rain so I'd like to learn more about current conditions or any suggestions.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
FishWithChris

Re: Any updates on Alligator Point or St. Georges recently?

Post by FishWithChris »

Water is dark, but fish are there. Normal patterns but cold front on the way that will change patterns quickly. Corks, spoons, and topwater. A lot of floating grass right now so I'd have a couple topwater ready with inline hooks instead of trebles.

Are you wading or by boat? And if by boat what kind? Draft is important as there are a ton of shallow sand humps and yster bars around.

sent from the Ketchup Packet
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Thank you, Chris.

I have already swapped out the trebles for inline hooks on my spooks. Are there any other topwaters you would suggest? I had been planning mostly floats and plastics along with a few bottom rigs - just because I'd feel neglectful not bringing them. I'll add some spoons. Thank you for that suggestion.

I will be wading so no boat worries. I'm more concerned about live bait. We will be staying on the Ochlockonee Bay so I was planning on a minnow trap (can't hurt). I don't know if it is worth bringing a cast net or just picking up some bait locally.

What changes would you anticipate with the coming cold front? I have some idea what that would mean for fishing the Pamlico sound but but the gulf coast.

Thank you for your input.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

hhager23 wrote:Thank you, Chris.

I have already swapped out the trebles for inline hooks on my spooks. Are there any other topwaters you would suggest? I had been planning mostly floats and plastics along with a few bottom rigs - just because I'd feel neglectful not bringing them. I'll add some spoons. Thank you for that suggestion.

I will be wading so no boat worries. I'm more concerned about live bait. We will be staying on the Ochlockonee Bay so I was planning on a minnow trap (can't hurt). I don't know if it is worth bringing a cast net or just picking up some bait locally.

What changes would you anticipate with the coming cold front? I have some idea what that would mean for fishing the Pamlico sound but but the gulf coast.

Thank you for your input.
I’d anticipate the water temperature cooling down, the mullet run kicking off, and the fish turning on. Also gangs of jacks and blues should start pushing through again.

Paul Brown or Mirrodine Topwaters are a good look. As far as bait use what you can, been getting a mix of fish and shrimp lately; with the cast net. (I’ve had better luck with live shrimp of late.)

Also, don’t overlook the simple jig with a paddle tail this time of year. Universal and one can fish all columns of the water.

Good luck and safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhager23

Post by hhager23 »

Thank you, Red Beard!