catch of a lifetime

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

catch of a lifetime

Post by dombern34 »

Hope everyone had a happy and safe Memorial day weekend! me and a few of my really close friends spent the weekend in Mexico Beach. my buddy brought his boat since mine's getting a make over. we woke up early Saturday and drove over to PCB and fished west bay. caught a fair share of trout and one pup red. storms where coming in pretty strong so we pulled out and headed back. during that trip the trolling motor stopped working.. Sunday comes and we where going to go back and just drift but his wife said he needed to lay on the beach and be a family man :roll: :smt012 so after the pouting we all go down to the beach. we brought a family friend's little boy with us, he's 9. he didn't accept the fact that we couldn't go fishing that day so he brings a rod with him..

I didn't fool with it since I wasn't in the mood anymore to fish. Stephens, which is the little guy's name also brings his cast net. he throws for a while and ends up catching a small fish so the fish ended up being bait! so we put this fish on his hook for him and throw it out it out there. we stick it in the rod holder and go back to pouting.

after about 45 minutes and this kid reeling it in every 5 minutes because sitting still and being patient isn't his cup of tea! the rod eventually bends over!

I seen the fish jump, and didn't think much of it but when he brought it to shore, I was shocked.... it was a huge Trout!!

all we had was a igloo with a ruler on top to measure it but his tail was just over 29 inches!!!!! beer about came out of my nose lol

I'm happy for him and he couldn't have been more excited! I've been fishing longer than he's been alive and never caught anything close to it.

the worst part about it was he did this with no boat and on a $19.99 set up......

the picture doesn't do this fish justice!
Attachments
IMG_4662.jpg
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: catch of a lifetime

Post by silverking »

True gator trout right there. Congrats to that young man.

Did he keep the fish or let her go? Potential for thousands of future baby trout with great genes if she did swim away.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Daaanng! What a trout! We're going to MB next weekend, I sure would like to catch one like that one.I may just have to try the beach some.
Yours in the South
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

he made the decision all on his own to let her swim free! I forgot to mention that part.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Great story and a good looking trout! Congrats to that young man!
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

dombern34 wrote:he made the decision all on his own to let her swim free! I forgot to mention that part.
Outstanding! If you got rough measurements, he could get a replica mount to commemorate that fine catch.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Thanks for the report. That's a nice trout, live bait is hard to beat. Congrats to the young man.
Sea Ya !
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Diff a catch of a lifetime, what a beast maybe mount it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Truly……..a NICE TROUT!

Thanks for the story and picture.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Hoss :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

That is one awesome fish. :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

And the young man chose to release that big breeder female. You have to respect that. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
gcs13

Post by gcs13 »

Great story and a awesome trout!!!!!!
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Don't you just love it when a Zebco 33 comes through. That is a great fish and a great memory for your young fishman. Thanks for taking him fishing and thank him of letting her go.