Mexico Beach Pomps!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Mexico Beach Pomps!

Post by bman »

Took a quick 2 day trip to Mexico Beach with the wife. After Parade of homes and 4 closings last week I needed a break and we needed some time together.
I slipped a couple of spinning rigs in the car with hopes of fishing while she laid out.

I crawled out of bed early the first Tuesday morning with coffee in hand I stumbled down to the beach.
The water was calm - a few dolphins working the sandbar.
I rigged up two rods with pompano rigs with fresh shrimp- one with floats the other with just beads.
Also put a nylure on my trout rod tipped with shrimp.
Immediately I stared catching fish- Lady Fish, small sharks, whiting.
You can see how calm the water was- and crystal clear!
Here is one of several small sharks.
Well it was on and off most of the morning but I did hit gold and a got a nice flattie!
All of the fish were caught on the pompano rigs with shrimp- nothing hit a sandflea and nothing struck the nylure.
Jessi, my wife, baked one with lemons and butter for dinner last night. :lick: :lick:

More of the same this morning - it was more overcast...
More sharks today but also one extra Pomp...
Then the wind and surf kicked up and the bite stopped.

I haven't surf fished since last year- It brings me back to being a kid. Simple fun and you never know what you are going to catch
Great way to unwind!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Re: Mexico Beach Pomps!

Post by Just Fish »

Looks like paradise to me Bman. :D
Jon Boat

Post by Jon Boat »

Im heading down that way this weekend. What kind of pompano rigs were you using. Ive always used nylures, so im curious as to what you were using.

I sure would like to catch a few of those for dinner this weekend. Nice going! :lick:
bman

Post by bman »

Jon Boat-
Its simple fishing- just picked up pompano rigs from the tackle shop there....
Caught an equal number on the one with floats and the one with just red beads.
Used 1 and 2oz pyramid sinkers and tipped each hook with about a 2inch piece of shrimp.
Toss it out in the trough between the sandbar and the beach- I staggered one in close and one out in deeper water.
I tried baiting them with sand fleas but didn't get a hit on them... another guy down the beach said the week before they were killing sand fleas but this week he was doing better on shrimp.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Jon Boat

Post by Jon Boat »

Thanks bman! Ill let you know how I do. I know Ill at least catch a buzz
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:thumbup: Way to go, Berry! That's it, I'm fixing up the surf rigs and headed over to, at least, SGI - where I hope the Pomps & Whiting are hungry, eh. :lick: If I can get Bobby over to MB where the "family" has a beach house, we'll = more surf fishing, or better yet, bay & offshore. We'll see...I'll file a report when it happens. 8)
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.