Surf Fishing at Wakulla Beach

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GatorBaiter

Surf Fishing at Wakulla Beach

Post by GatorBaiter »

Went down to the beach with the wife, mother n law, and dog on Sunday (7/5). Thought about bringing the boat but when I got out of the truck and saw the whitecaps with that "breeze" I was glad I didnt bother with it. Fished for about three hours throwing a mixture of gulp and cut mullet. Caught and released three black tip sharks (1-2 ft) that hit the mullet. Talked to a group of yakkers and it seemed that everyone was catching the shark pups. Nothing exciting but got some big looks from the kids swimming next to me. Saw no reds or sheepshead tailing the area. Seems like the wind was just pushing everything to hard. Did see two crazy fellas launching a 13 ft bass boat as we left with one heck of a squall line blowing over and thunder crashing everywhere. Never underestimate the ability of people to overestimate their abilities. Just to make the day super exciting we lost an alternator in the truck on the way home. Stuck at the intersection of 59 and 259 at 5:00 on a holiday Sunday afternoon is not a fun time to find a tow truck...however it made me re-consider and I think I will go ahead and invest in AAA and Sea Tow here soon. When you need either it makes it more than worth it...if you never need them than it is still money well spent for the comfort of knowing that you have them. Just my reflections after sitting on the side of the road for three hours.

On one final note: On Saturday we took a great canoe trip up the St. Marks river. I have been several times and it never fails to amaze. Right before the state park cut off we encountered three manatees, 2 adults and one calf. The calf was incredibly curious. It came right up to the canoe and for a solid 15 minutes we were able to scratch its back, watch it roll over to have its stomach scratched, and just generally follow us around as curious as could be. We let it explore us without jumping in the water and it was perfectly comfortable. Of course all good things must end and when the idiots on Jet Skis arrived they hauled for the fenced off area. I will try to post some pictures soon!
"People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
Boy...we sure have come a long way since then!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: Surf Fishing at Wakulla Beach

Post by jsuber »

Sounds like fun
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Nice weekend! :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

GatorBaiter wrote:Never underestimate the ability of people to overestimate their abilities.
Great saying!! :thumbup: I'm sure to quote you on that one in the future. :lol:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

"I think I will go ahead and invest in AAA and Sea Tow here soon. When you need either it makes it more than worth it...if you never need them than it is still money well spent for the comfort of knowing that you have them."

Another great saying.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Be careful man, with all the crap going on about the warsaw/goliath grouper, someone will tell the FWC on you and have you up on charges for molesting manatees.