Gap Point Trail SGI 10-15-2011

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Gap Point Trail SGI 10-15-2011

Post by CoastalPirate »

Hiked with a friend, the 2.5 mile Gap point trail to primitive camp at SGI. Expected to be fishing all day, however we underestimated the trail and how heavy the cooler was with firewood attached to it. Not the smartest idea. Had to walk the trail 3 times before getting the chance to fish. Mosquitoes were horrible and that is an understatement. Finally started fishing around 6pm. Got on the trail at 1pm. Didnt fish till 6pm. So much fishing time missed.
Sunset and clear skies about 74 degrees with gusts of wind. Water temp felt like mid 70's. We were fishing a rising tide on the bay. About 7pm, my friend hooked a just barely keeper 15" speck. Caught on a red jig head with Gulp! 3" natural shrimp. Same set up he caught a ladyfish and smaller speck. Around 9pm my friend also caught a 19" speck on a white jig head with a yellow grub tail!Caught my first speckled trout ever this evening, 14"! Caught on a red jig head with 3" natural shrimp. Another friend of mine caught up with us later in the evening, and caught his first red fish 11pm, small, no measure, but used a red jig head with a 4" Gulp! New Penny shrimp.All in all between us we caught 5 specks (2 keeper), 1 redfish, 2 blue crabs (chicken necks and string), and a ladyfish. A terrible hiked ended with an awesome fishing adventure!
Last edited by CoastalPirate on October 18th, 2011, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Gap Point Trail SGI 10-15-2011

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:D :thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?