St. George Island

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hiljun

St. George Island

Post by Hiljun »

We made two nice trips to SGI in as many weeks. The first trip we fished all day from the beach with nothing to show for it. We were using shrimp from Crums. That place is like a magnet my truck just can't seem to pass it without stopping. Once the tide started down we waded out to the sand bar and started catching some big trout, small reds and medium whiting. Well my son was I was fishing twenty feet away with the exact same setup and only managed to hook a shovel head and some cats. We ran out of shrimp and headed home. Monday I bought twice as much shrimp and only caught one fish on them. I tried wading out before the tide went out and got a beating from the waves. So I would wade out cast and wade back to shore until I got in the way of a feeding shark. I see sharks every time I go out in the waves but usually they are going along the beach and of no concern to me. Not this guy the waves were chest high and we saw each other about the same time. He was about 5 feet away and coming straight at me. I was turning to walk back when a saw him and just froze to see what he was going to do luckily he wanted as little to do with me as I did with him. After that I let the tide drop some more before wading out again. While I was waiting I dug some sand flies when I started using them it was on like turning on a light switch. I started catching pompano and big reds almost as fast as I could get one off and cast back out. I even snagged a passing sea turtle in the flipper it was released with out harm. I cut the hook and slipped it out both sides so not to harm it. When it got dark the really big reds started destroying my tackle the would straighten my swivels and get off. I will be back tomorrow and Tuesday without swivels.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: St. George Island

Post by MudDucker »

I hear human urine is a shark repellent. Don't know where I heard that, but it seems to be widely in use for shark encounters in the surf. :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Sounds like a lot of fun. Thx for the report.
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

How was the water clarity?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

ced0412 wrote:How was the water clarity?
Good 'nuff to see SHARKS :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

You're giving me some hope.....I was planning on going down there Monday! Thanks for the report!

~~Dave
Hiljun

Post by Hiljun »

Water was clear I could see the Rays swim off as I was wading. Towards the end of the day it did have a slight yellow tint. We were fishing at the second bath house in the park.