In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to ... TURKEY

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to ... TURKEY

Post by onefishtwofish »

(us old men too).

Buddy that deer hunts a new lease I am in had three birds gobbling all around him on the last weekend in January. Pretty stoked for another spring.

Goals:
1) Enjoy the days afield and the battles with birds. Win or lose.
2) Kill a bird with the 410 I have rigged for my grandson. When I give it to him, I want to give him a pic of a bird his Pops killed with his new gun (he is only 2, so I have time).
3) Get my daughter on a bird! Hard to get her out with me, so I am gonna push her more this year. All about her not wanting to get up super early, so I will try her on some late morning/afternoon hunts.
4) Kill one with my muzzleloader shotgun - son and nephew have both killed with it. Maybe this year will be my turn.
Last edited by onefishtwofish on February 21st, 2022, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Red Beard

Re: In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to ...

Post by Red Beard »

…good luck. Spring time is when I transition nocturnal mode chasing doormats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Re: In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to ... TURKEY

Post by ropeman »

I have never been turkey hunting, but I've been told that once you get into it it becomes a passion. Good luck and happy hunting!
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

I am going to miss the first week of turkey season this year. I will get after them though. Already been scouting and confirming that the birds I saw during deer season are still scratching around. Good luck to everyone!
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Took first timers, two girls, 8 and 12, on Sunday. They both plugged their first birds with a .410. The 8 year old is my daughter, she has been hunting with me since she was 6, she is already trying to cut momma in line for her second.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Buddy with me killed one on opening day. I killed one opening Sunday. Classic hunt. Heard him gobble about 11:30 in a deep draw and by 12:00 he was headed out for a truck ride. Nephew connected a few days later, brother a week after that.

I put away the 20 and got the 410 out, really wanted to take one with it, but I have time. It will be my grandson's gun, but I want to give him a pic of me, the gun and a mature longbeard. Plenty of time, he is only 2.

Never could put my son in law on a bird. Plenty of very close calls, just always seemed to be sheet water, a creek or a thick area that messed us up.

A fun season. Time to think about fish!
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

I killed my first turkey ever this year, 20.5lbs 10" beard and 1.5" spurs. Fantastic hunt, I had to shoot him at 60yds but dropped him like a rock.
ImageImageImageImageImage
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Nice bird. I know where you killed him and I know where he came from! :smt006 :smt005
Those are some nice spurs. He thought he was a smart bird where he was, but you knew better! Great job.

I am friends with Ken. He sent me one of those pics. I hit that place a few times after you and never heard one. Been successful before right near where you were, if ya know what I mean! Ken listened to me kill mine (at a lease we are in) - he stayed at truck and heard the calling, the gobbling and the shot. Says he is gonna try it next year!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Congrats Hollywood on your first bird! He's a dandy!!!

It was a fun season. I did well this season. Two very nice public land toms....

This fella had about 1" spurs. 9" beard

This fella had about a 9.5" beard and 1.5" spurs

There were some younger fellas that I saw almost every day I was out in the woods. We always passed each other on the way in/out (usually while I was walking)...hope that they were able to get their birds. I look forward to next season.

Dani
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Great job on 2 Public Birds! Nice!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Nice bird Danibeth!