Gator Hunt report 3rd phase

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Gator Hunt report 3rd phase

Post by Big Bend Brian »

A week ago during the 3rd week of gator season, my son Casey & I hooked up with our nephew James who knows well the Upper St Johns River Basin where our gator permit were for. Once High School was out on Friday we headed south to Palm Bay, FL. After sunset we headed out and started looking for gators. We hooked and brought to the boat three gators ranging from 7 to almost 9 foot but we were holding out for a 10 footer. Towards the end of the morning we finally hooked into a good gator but as we started to work it the braid parted and we lost it before we could put a second hook into it.

The second night we decided to start later and hunt till daylight. At midnight as we were getting ready to head out there was a large storm heading to our hunt area so stayed home but by 0230 hrs it dissipated and we headed out. The first gator we brought to the boat (~ 0600 hrs) was a good gator and we decided to work it up.

Starting out

Primitive harpoon but it works (we have two)

Gators we released

It’s easy to let slack into the line and with the back of the harpoon pole push out the weighted treble

Snagged in the foot this one was difficult to bring to bring up until we got a second line in it. We decided that we would take this one.

Harpoon in

Business end…..

357 caliber bangstick ready

Not cooperating

Banged

Great harpoon shot

Tagged

Sweet!!

James (left) & Casey with Casey’s largest to date….9 foot 5 inches

That’s his braces smile…..

Anytime you can do outdoor adventures with your kid (s) it’s a good thing!

Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Gator Hunt report 3rd phase

Post by MudDucker »

Nize Beast! I took some guys up here two weeks ago. The big gators had been moving in the morning, but they wanted to go at 10PM. Saw only small ones of 4' or less. Two mornings later, watched a big one glide across in front of my dock.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Glad you got him. Anything near ten feet or over is too big.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Congratulations! Nice gator