Guana WMA Youth Duck Hunt: Feb 4 2017

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Guana WMA Youth Duck Hunt: Feb 4 2017

Post by Big Bend Brian »

Haven’t posted in a bit so here goes one………….

Since we didn’t have any quota permits for Guana this was to be our first DUK hunt in Guana for the entire season after it went to a Quota Permit System (a little bummed about that….). Unfortunately you can’t walk in anymore.

Getting to the ramp at 0530 hrs was a little bit of a shocker as there were way more hunters and their rigs than there usually is but the line moved for the most part quickly.

The winds was honking to at least 15 knots and our paddle in would be easy (with the wind) but coming back we knew it was gonna be tough. We got the dekes set and with the cloud cover the morning flight seemed a bit delayed.

With the mild winter there were still teal around and things started happening. What was really cool was that with the strong winds the ducks swing in FAST and in your face as they were flaring to land! My daughter Kaitlyn did well and ended up with a limit of six green wing teal. Two of them were doubles! What a neat way to end the DUK season!! Our dog (me) was busy retrieving DUKS cause as soon as they hit the water they were floating fast to the south.

It doesn’t get much better!!!
Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Guana WMA Youth Duck Hunt: Feb 4 2017

Post by Salty Gator »

Awesome
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Good deal. Those are the prettiest and best eating ducks to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Y'all done good! The last time I hunted there, I started to petition to have the name changed to Ruddy duck Bay. Sure loved the place back in the 70's though.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

That's awesome! Good for Kaitlyn. I always enjoyed hunting Guana, though the winds sure could get whipping up and down that lake. I can remember many of those hard paddles back to the ramp. Sometimes I'd even think to myself, lets go against the wind in the morning so the paddle back isn't so bad, only to have the wind switch on me. Loved that lake though