Turkey talk

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Re: Turkey talk

Post by bbb »

onefishtwofish wrote:Hunted Georgia on Wednesday. Lots of birds. Lots of gobbles. Had set up on a little field and 2 birds were hammering right in front of us. Called them to about 100 yards, but could not see them over the rise in the field. I know they saw the dekes. They lost interest and wandered off. After a pretty long wait I eased up and saw them at a couple hundred yards - there were 3 jakes, so we would not have shot anyways. had other birds gobbling around us, but this is a quail plantation and it is impossible to move. Would be like trying to move on a golf course. Could never get in front of the ones that gobbled a few times on the ground, by trying to use the terrain, just could not get ahead of them.

Time to start thinking about fishing!
Headed out in the AM for what will most likely be our last trip. Unless they are vocal, then I may go Sunday morning. Otherwise I'm hooking the boat up and heading to the lake.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Ended my season for real today. Last day I can hunt. Florida ended a while back but I got a couple of hunts at a GA plantation.

The first hunt we figured where they roosted. Today, we were in position well before daylight and as the day woke up, I was right in his pocket. Slightly uphill from his roost tree. There were 6 birds gobbling in all, only he was close. He was on my side of the creek so I intended to wait until he flew done to call, until a hen started raising a ruckus just to my east. I let him know there was a hen to the west as well. I watched him fly down and he went to the east (I never saw the hen). He kept gobbling as he walked away, so I thought maybe he was not with her. I made about a 3/4 mile walk to beat him to a field he was headed to, but had to stay on the backside of a ridge he was on - the woods are quail woods and it is like turkey hunting a golf course to me. I made it to the field and sat down at the far eastern edge, where I thought he was headed. Sure enough, about 20 minute later he gobbles, headed right to me (or so I thought). I waited, and waited and waited some more. Talked quiet, but no answer. After about an hour or so of no sounds, I eased up to look back to the west and there he stood, in full strut, about 150 yards away. He had to have walked back up the ridge to circle me, but that is what he did (I would have seen him if he had walked straight to where he was). I eased back down, but he just wandered off, not really interested in my calling.

So, now it is redfish season!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bbb

Post by bbb »

That would make me want to go again.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

bbb wrote:That would make me want to go again.
Oh trust me, I know exactly how to kill him now and will not get the chance. If I get an invite next year, I know what to do! Grab a deke or two and pack a lunch.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?