Turkey talk

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Turkey talk

Post by onefishtwofish »

Anyone been listening yet? I have not, but should in the next week or so. Will be cleaning up our lease this weekend (we cut some little trails down in to the swamp so we can sneak in before light). Also got drawn for a quota and will be scouting there soon as well. Pollen on the truck in the morning gets me to thinking turkey!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey talk

Post by SHOWBOAT »

haven't tried roosting any yet, but I expect that pretty soon I'll start hearing them when leaving for work. Normal, quiet, midday walkers at this point
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I have seen a couple gobblers blowed up with 3-4 hens almost every morning for the last 2 weeks. I think they are going strong in S Ga.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I have seen some big flocks in fields lately in S Ga. I saw a batchalor group the other day. Haven't seen any strutting.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
bbb

Post by bbb »

Saw 2 hens with a strutting gobbler in a rye field this morning just south of Bainbridge.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I hunted hard Sat and Sun. No gobbles! I was on private. Family on public both heard gobbles, but did not close the deal. At least we have a couple on public that are talking, so unless they die tomorrow, I will be on them Wednesday. Good luck all.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

skipped Saturday to go to Apalach with Meghan and her mom. Hunted Sunday. First gobble at 8:30. We talked for about half an hour before he went silent for 20 minutes. I turned to the loud side of my slate call and hit a couple clucks. Young bird immediately came running in, stopped at 11 yards and let out a gobble. Turkey soup last night.

In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Way to go, Brian. Nice Garden & Gun set-up but you might want to hide the bank statement to satisfy the art director. He's very particular. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

silverking wrote:Way to go, Brian. Nice Garden & Gun set-up but you might want to hide the bank statement to satisfy the art director. He's very particular. :wink:
I actually took the pic to send to my father last night; he was surprised that I chose to turn a turkey breast into soup. I noticed the envelope when posting this morning, but even the address shown has been sold so I don't think there is much info disclosed.
bbb

Post by bbb »

After I set up for the second time, This one came in at 8:45. Never gobbled, but strutted, drummed and spit the whole way in. He was standing about 3 feet from the decoy before I was finally able to get a bead on his head.

Feels good to have one on the books this early. Last year it took a month to get on the board.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Nice work!
Stay Thirsty My Friends
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Awesome work, fellas! Hoping to get my first gobbler ever this season. Fingers crossed
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Not a Thunder Chicken hunter, but I went scouting yesterday. Surprised by the lack of birds on one tract. Oh well, I know where another place is that always has birds. Nize bird Dale!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

SWEEEEEEET y'all!

Congrats to those who have gotten turkeys.

I hunted sat, sun and Monday. I HATE turkeys. Ah well. Monday they turned on. I had about 5 gobblers all around me, but they must've been henned up because they weren't so interested in what I had to say and they really weren't gobbling at each other. They were just gobbling.

Looking forward to seeing if there's one who is looking for love this weekend......
bbb

Post by bbb »

Went to a GA property this morning after I dropped kids off at school. Got thru the gate at 7:55 and started walking. About 400 yards later I hear a bird gobble at a crow. I stop to listen and it sounds like its 200 yards in the woods. I hear it gobble 2 more times then quiet. Next thing I know a bird steps out at 75 yards. It sees something/me(leafy cut camo on) and turns to walk the other way. A crow flew over again and he sounded off again then he disappeared around the corner. After he got around the corner he sounded off 2 more times. Maybe I didn't spook him too bad.

Left that end of the property and went into the side with a long power line. Nothing on the power line so I pull in and walk towards a road going back into the woods. I hear one sound off. I walk up to the road and peek down it. Gobbler and 2 hens about 300 yards down the road. He's in full strut. I watch them for 5 minutes and decide to slide out. I stepped back and looked on down the power line and a gobbler had stepped out 200 yards up from me and caught me. He turned and went into the woods.

Also have a group of 4-5 jakes on camera so must have had a good hatch last year. This is a 350 acre track so things are looking good for GA.