Quail Hunting

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WetBandit

Quail Hunting

Post by WetBandit »

Anyone on here hunt quail? particularly on public land?

I'm a newbie, don't have a bird dog. I'm really intrigued though, I've never lived anywhere that offered quail hunting as a possibility until now. Talked to the state biologist a couple times recently to get his perspective.

If anyone on here is into it and wouldn't mind sharing some insight on tactics, etc., especially for a solo hunter, it would be great to talk to someone. I could buy you a beer and a burger if you are local to Tallahassee.
I would also be happy to make a hunting buddy.

Thanks
redbelly7

Re: Quail Hunting

Post by redbelly7 »

It is my opinion and my opinion only, but I really don't think any land other than a private plantation can sustain wild birds in a quantity worth feeding a dog. In my younger years, we could get into 15 coveys a day, but now, you can walk all day and possibly get 1 or 2 coveys. Too many predators and not many hedge rows and other habitat for quail. We now buy birds and put them out and flush them w/ English Cockers for their enjoyment.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Without a dog you have no chance. With a dog you will walk hard all day for a shot at a covey or two on public land. Not impossible, but not easy. We went with a small group a couple of weeks ago in search of woodcock. 5 of us 5 dogs. Walked all day, not one bird. The alternative is to put birds out as Redbelly said, but that’s not hunting to me ( it is to some). Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Quail hunting on public land is hard enough with a good dog. Quail hunting on public land without a dog is going to be near impossible. If it's something you really want to take up, I would keep my eyes peeled for a trained bird dog between now and next year...an older dog that's slowed down and a plantations/hunt operation has decided to retire would be the IDEAL dog if you're wanting to jump straight into it next season (I may be in a similar boat).

For now, go buy some hip waders and try Snipe hunting. They're much more manageable without a dog, easier to locate due to being more concentrated around water, flush similar to a quail, and challenging to shoot.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

RCS wrote:Quail hunting on public land is hard enough with a good dog. Quail hunting on public land without a dog is going to be near impossible. If it's something you really want to take up, I would keep my eyes peeled for a trained bird dog between now and next year...an older dog that's slowed down and a plantations/hunt operation has decided to retire would be the IDEAL dog if you're wanting to jump straight into it next season (I may be in a similar boat).

For now, go buy some hip waders and try Snipe hunting. They're much more manageable without a dog, easier to locate due to being more concentrated around water, flush similar to a quail, and challenging to shoot.
That is a good idea in theory, but none of the plantation managers I know will sell “retired” dogs. If they can’t hunt them, they aren’t going to sell them to you to hunt with. If you want to hunt wild quail you will have to win the powerball or buy ( and train ) a dog, and there is still no guarantee ( that’s what I did). Good luck. Also, the snipe suggestion is an excellent one. No dog needed and it can be really rewarding, but does take some walking. Kinda dry now though
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

To hunt quail on public land, you really need a dog and you really must like to spend time walking the dog with few points. Its good exercise.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

As has been said before, public land quail hunting (particularly without a dog) will be difficult. If you really want to try and locate quail and not use dogs, one thing that I would suggest (that won't help you this season) is to go out in the spring when the males are calling to the ladies. If you can locate areas where the birds are calling, in general you will have found an area that a covey will use throughout the year. If you turkey hunt, listen while you're out scouting for gobblers and for bobwhite calling and then remember where you've heard them. That may not guarantee that you will find the quail in the fall but it will at least give you a starting point to try and walk them up.

My buddy and I have hunted quail hard this year on public land and we've gotten into a couple of coveys but they have been hard won finds. We have been thrilled with 1 or 2 covey finds in a weekend. My buddy's English setter will generally run 50 miles or so in a weekend and my lab and I will cover about 15-18 miles in a weekend. Not saying it can't be done without a dog but I've done a lot of tromping around in the fall with and without dogs in places that I know there are quail and I've never been fortunate enough to stumble into one without a dog.

Definitely consider snipe hunting. They're a lot of fun and can easily be done without a dog.

Dani