First hog with night vision and first 2 hogs with new Glock

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

First hog with night vision and first 2 hogs with new Glock

Post by Big Bend Brian »

It’s been too long since I’ve last posted…….

The water has now gotten too cold to shark tooth dive (47 degrees F) so I took a stand with two new pig toys: a new self-built 300 Black Out pistol (10.5 “ barrel) with a ATN X-Sight II digital night vision scope and a brand new Glock 40 MOS 10mm with a Vortex Venom red dot.

Megalodon shark teeth (2.6 – 26 million years old)

Walking to a covered blind early in the morning (forecasted for rain) I jumped a large animal right in front of me and with the night vision already turned on I could see it was a large boar hog. It didn’t quite know what I was although I could tell it was about to vamoose. A quick head shot at 25 meters and it dropped. It happened too quickly to turn on the video but it’s already a great early morning!!

First hog with night vision and my new 300 Black Out pistol
~110 lb boar

Getting into the blind I hung out waiting for sunrise. Right before sunrise three more hogs came out. I started the video and as I settled on a head shot and pulled the trigger on the 300 Black Out all I heard was a CLICK. Not sure what was up with that I ejected the round and tried it again. At this point the largest hog, a sow was getting a little nervous and backed off. Pulling the trigger again all I heard was CLICK. What the FRIG!! I ejected another round and get back on the largest hog which at this point is even more nervous. CLICK.

With that I put the rifle down and pulled out my new GLOCK 40 that I had fortuitously just sighted in the night before! The largest pig, a sow had come back in but was a little jittery. Having had the red dot Venom set on auto it was still too bright in the dark so I had to change it to the manual setting to put it on the lowest setting. Waiting for a broadside shot and aiming at the shoulder she dropped and it looked like it was a DRT shot. At this point the other two piggies took off running and I took two shots at them but didn’t connect. Then all of a sudden the dropped sow starts lunging forward and I took two shots before she made it to the water and swam off.

Not sure what to make of that I gave it an hour and broke down the 300 Black Out to discover my buffer spring had unseated due to a not tight-enough castle nut.
DUH!!

Walking out I found where the sow dropped and then started lunging. No blood but I followed it 10 yards through the mud to the water where it swam off. At this point I circled where she went into the water and saw another hog peering out of the palmettoes. I dropped that smaller hog with a head shot at 20 yards. Walking towards it I could see buried in the thick palmettoes was the dead sow. She had gone about 25 yards from where she was first hit.

First hog with the new Glock 40

Broke both front legs but the Sig Sauer 180 gr FMJ round left only a small hole (entrance and exit).
You can see the small entrance hole.

First hogs with my new Glock 40

3 lil piggies

With the rain starting to pick up I headed to the skinning pole and had a nice rainbow to end my morning.

Nice ending of the morning (not for the piggies however)

I really like this 10mm!!
Hoo Yah!!

Brian
Quality Time
ontiltttttt

Re: First hog with night vision and first 2 hogs with new Gl

Post by ontiltttttt »

Awesome post. Love the photos, especially the megalodon teeth!
STMU

Post by STMU »

Woah!!! Great Post! Thanks for sharing! What is that thing in the middle of all the shark teeth?
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Man that's awesome! night hunting for these guys is something I really enjoy! we've gotten into it pretty hard here lately due to the number of pigs increasing drastically! last year the farmer who is next to us had to submit an insurance claim of over 20 acres in a single week due to these pigs. population control has been fun!
IMG_6897.jpg
IMG_6896.png
IMG_6896.png (187.85 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
IMG_6870.jpg
IMG_6858.jpg
IMG_6835.png
IMG_6835.png (100.87 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Great post and nice shooting with the pistol. They are surprisingly tough. If you want to pick them up, you need to shoot them in the head. I have shot several big boars with my .270 behind the shoulder and they will run off without a good blood trail despite the fact they are mortally wounded.
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

STMU wrote: What is that thing in the middle of all the shark teeth?
Whale tooth
Quality Time
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

DB34...... you are having WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!
Outstanding!
Brian
Quality Time
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

fishfalcon wrote: If you want to pick them up, you need to shoot them in the head.
FF you are exactly correct on the headshots.

My lil 15 year old with a BIG pig. Head shot with a lil 5.56.
We were anticipating little 60 lbers but when this one came out she made a stellar 50 yard shot and it just dropped. Dragging it out I could only move it one foot at a time and when I finally got it out my hands were blistered.
Good times!
Brian
Quality Time
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Nice looking guns. It is frustrating when you get clicks at inopportune times, but it goes with the territory. Sweet making the shot with the pistol. Used to hunt hogs with a scoped 357 and it was a devastating round with most any shot placement in front of the gut, but I used rounds loaded by a local LEO.

You are really keeping the hog population in check!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!