Turkey Camo

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WetBandit

Turkey Camo

Post by WetBandit »

Going to try for spring turkeys this year, my first time turkey hunting.

For those of you with experience, do you have a favorite camo pattern for turkeys? Do you think it doesn't much matter?

Just curious what experienced hunters in the Northwest/Tallahassee area think.
wally
Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Camo

Post by wally »

Thermacell is more important than the camo brand. Movement is the killer.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Lots of green. Lightweight. I use a 3D leafy top that I can wear over a lightweight T, but it is big enough to wear over some heavier stuff. It has mesh under it which is nice for the bugs. It is not unusual to hunt the morning at 40 or less and be hunting 70s by later in the day. Layer, layer, layer. Have a rain suit you like, as rainy days are harder hunting and you need to be more patient, but I have killed some nice birds on rainy days.

I agree it is more about movement. Lots of days I hunt with dark brown or green pants I wear to work, not camo at all. Just be still. Buddy of mine killed a ton of birds in an old OD army field jacket.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I wear a leafy bug suit and use a thermacell. Cover your face and hands and like the others have said be still.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

Thanks for that. Glad to know about the Thermacell. What do people think about those turkey blinds they sell? Are they worth having? I've seen a few inexpensive ones.
bbb

Post by bbb »

WetBandit wrote:What do people think about those turkey blinds they sell? .
Great to have if raining or you take kids with you. Useless if you run and gun.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Not a fan of the blinds, but folks kill birds in them all the time. I get bored sitting in one spot, although one little farm I hunt, that is the only way to consistently kill them. I use ground blinds - just cut brush and stack up leafy stuff in front of me. Sit in the shade to keep my eyes on the bright field. And move SLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I would definitely use a blind with a young un though, but my son started without one at 12 and we never needed it. Much younger than that it is a good idea.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

Great to know, I guess I should have been more specific about the blind. I was looking at one of the lightweight, ground blinds that is essentially a camo curtain. Just for the sake of hiding a little more movement and pulling the gun up extra stealthy.
bbb

Post by bbb »

This could be useful if you were hunting an area without much cover.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I have set up those blinds like the picture. I would try to stack a little brush in front of it. I did this when hunting during the afternoons, like on WMA's.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

WetBandit wrote:Great to know, I guess I should have been more specific about the blind. I was looking at one of the lightweight, ground blinds that is essentially a camo curtain. Just for the sake of hiding a little more movement and pulling the gun up extra stealthy.
Yes, I use one of those types a lot.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

wally wrote:Thermacell is more important than the camo brand. Movement is the killer.
Bada bing ... bada boom, dis here is the truff! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

WetBandit wrote:Thanks for that. Glad to know about the Thermacell. What do people think about those turkey blinds they sell? Are they worth having? I've seen a few inexpensive ones.
I've never seen a turkey with a cane and guide dog. :smt005 Unless you are hunting near a feeder, you better be prepared to move. Blinds make that tough!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Not a fan of the blinds unless hunting with a young hunter. Brush yourself in with a few pieces of shrubbery just to break up your outline. Get a chair (NWTF makes a great one) which will help you sit still longer.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the insight. One last question, I'm curious if I should consider getting decoys. I'm thinking I should go a few times and feel it out first, especially if I'm expecting to move around. I know decoys are relatively a new thing in turkey hunting. Anyone think it's a must have? If so, how many do you use and are you using hens or toms or a mix?

Thanks