What is this?

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

What is this?

Post by spothogg »

Came across this in the woods today.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
big bend gyrene

Re: What is this?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Found a very similar image on google that describes a "pitfall trap" for collecting insects. Can't swear that's what it is, but sure looks similar (plate staked in ground above a cup in a hole).

http://wiki.bugwood.org/Collecting_insects
375px-Pitfall.jpg
375px-Pitfall.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Thanks! I guess I could have asked the Google. My next question would be why and who? The market flag had a alphanumeric marking. Wonder if it’s for research of some kind.

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I concur that it's most likely related to an insect study (types, population, etc). The marking flag would be relative to a true study being conducted, if I had to guess, I would suspect that Q2 stands for Quadrant 2 and or the Q somehow ties into the property ID. For an April Fool's joke, you could put a couple of very small baitfish in there, I reckon they would summize it rained fish and a couple flopped in there :-D
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
spothogg
Site Sponsor

Post by spothogg »

Scoop Sea wrote:I concur that it's most likely related to an insect study (types, population, etc). The marking flag would be relative to a true study being conducted, if I had to guess, I would suspect that Q2 stands for Quadrant 2 and or the Q somehow ties into the property ID. For an April Fool's joke, you could put a couple of very small baitfish in there, I reckon they would summize it rained fish and a couple flopped in there :-D
:lol: