Game cam on public land

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

Game cam on public land

Post by spothogg »

Anyone here ever place game cams on public land? If so, have you had an issue with theft or tampering?
J Holden

Re: Game cam on public land

Post by J Holden »

spothogg wrote:Anyone here ever place game cams on public land? If so, have you had an issue with theft or tampering?

I have but it was in a place with no vehicle access that required miles of walking to get to. No issues. I wouldn't put one somewhere that you could drive within a thousand yards of though...
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I have but always put a lock on it and use a type that the door for the card can be locked. Scum will steal the card if they find it, so all your hard work is now their easy work to look through your pictures.
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

I put trail cameras in the local WMA’s all the time. No locks. I am careful to put them in locations that are very difficult to get to. Been doing it for ten years now. I had one cheap camera get taken, but I was careless and put the camera close to a logging road that had a very active game trail crossing it. Some dickhead found it and took it. Honestly, I am not filming as many critters as I would like. I suppose I am not filming very many critters because the places I setup the cameras are not the best. I should invest in some chains and locks and setup the cameras in better locations.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

If you get a camera that has cell service at least you can keep the pictures and probably some of the thief if it is stolen. They cost about twice as much, but you can see activity without going out to the camera.

I had one stolen by a bear on my hunting lease a few years ago. I thought a person took it for a while until I found a broken piece of the loop that the strap goes through. I searched at least an acre around the spot and never found the camera.