Gator Tags

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Gator Tags

Post by Red Beard »

Anyone putting in for gator tags this year? Anyone else like to hunt these big lizards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danibeth

Re: Gator Tags

Post by Danibeth »

I put in. I love to hunt the big lizards.

Fingers are crossed

Danibeth
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Awesome. Can’t wait!

Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Y'all come over here and get this one. He's made a home in one of my fishing holes and I don't like it.
IMG_1058.JPG
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Juan wrote:Y'all come over here and get this one. He's made a home in one of my fishing holes and I don't like it.
IMG_1058.JPG
PM sent

big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Did put in for tags... but second-guessing my sanity in doing so. Almost two years have passed since I harvested a couple from my pond... still think I'm recovering from the injuries (both physical and moral :lol: ) suffered that year.

And have to add that while it was a rather painful experience under Bman's direction (if he admits it, he KNOWS he's gotten a twisted kick out of knocking MULTIPLE folks out of his boats), I actually harvested the second one by myself from a canoe in about 1/10th the time and 1/100th the drama. #TRUESTORY #BEWAREBMANADVENTURES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dssGWDKtVM[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Red Beard

Gator Tags

Post by Red Beard »

Ouch! Had a feeling that was coming.. stinks to have a lizard in the boat and your pocket knife be the one that bites ya.

Fresh gator in the boat... than the work starts, cleaning it! I nicked my hand a few times last season while processing them.

Processed a dozen or so last season. Lots of tedious knife work but I find it fun.

big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Red Beard wrote:Processed a dozen or so last season. Lots of tedious knife work but I find it fun.

That's some REALLY nice looking work, Red Beard! :thumbup: :beer:

Very curious what you did with the skins next... tan and / or dye them, send them off, or ???

I'd love to ultimately process myself, but Vaughan's is so close to my place got his help with my first two.
He sends the hides to Sebring and while I loved the finished product think it took just over a year to get them back.
80273536_10221079367149306_3834290568414887936_o.jpg
Did do a euro on one of mine all by myself... lot different than deer or hogs, as despite doing my best to keep plates tied together still all fell apart and had to be reassembled -- bit of puzzle work to get it all back together right.
52595972_10218522576311133_7156928679359021056_o.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

What glue did you use to glue your gator skull all back together?

Danibeth
Red Beard

Gator Tags

Post by Red Beard »

That euro came out really nice! Unfortunately your correct about how the skull comes apart and teeth will shoot out if you put to much pressure washer on one.

On YouTube the “whitebone creations” guy can do it with a cheap pressure washer. But I’ve yet to see it completely hold together after the organic matter is removed. Granted he has more experience than I do.

I took these down to just a natural raw hide. Didn’t tan them. I spent a lot of time researching and just went after it. It’s not a difficult job just tedious. I’d be happy to help you with what I know. (I’m no expert)

Note that slit in the gator hide above... from a hunter that decided to gut it before he brought it in. If you want a good hide you will have a processor lined up and waiting your arrival. They can put it straight into the cooler and preserve the gator.

On a side note for hunters using stinky bait to get your gators. That bait left in the gut will start decomposing your gator from the inside out and taint the meat with a foul odor. Takes extra steps to clean and will reduce the harvestable meat.