Food Plots - What to plant?

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: Food Plots - What to plant?

Post by big bend gyrene »

Above shared, though personally at a point in my life I'm enjoying trying to "trophy" hunt ("trophy" as FL goes) NOT a horn snob.

As the old saying goes, you can't eat horns... and I LOVE venison. TOTALLY get the goal of harvesting deer for the primary goal of food, and have done that my fair share in the past as well. So not really any wrong or right answer, but again as Red Beard alluded to early on, answers can be a bit different depending on specific goals. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Also.. a good point to think about is.. heard health. There are supplements (and medication) in powder form (salt lick/syrup styles that dissolve into stumps and the dirt.)

I can’t think of what we used on the Kentucky farm I will try and ask family; but it kept the deer healthy as a whole; from their antlers, to fur, to weight.. We would put it out all year round and the deer would destroy anything it was on; was a great way to attract the deer in the thicker woods away from the fields/plots. We used it in stands near creeks, choke points, or new camera spots.. had a sweet smell like Kool-Aid powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

It is best to pull a soil test cause you're gonna need lime, the big question is how long has it been since it's been cut, that will determine what you can plant for a food plot. Some of these ga boys around me get serious about their food plots with Roundup ready corn soybeans and alfalfa, I prefer to fish more so mine are usually small plot blends.