Needing Home(s) for Tasty Pigs

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Needing Home(s) for Tasty Pigs

Post by big bend gyrene »

Looking for good home(s) for tasty pigs.

So here's the backstory... I live against 4,000 of uninhabited plantation land. Hogs have increasingly become an issue over the past few years. Raised not to waste anything I kill, I have just about killed MYSELF lately trying to process the pigs I've harvested and have reached the point I'm ready to cry "Uncle!"

What I'm looking for are any forum members who at least SEMI-RELIABLY want hogs AND can arrange to take them quickly after being harvested. Not asking a penny for them, just don't want to hear, " I was wanting a white one... that one's just a little too small... that one's just a little too big... I wanted one with shorter hair, etc." Wish I could pick and choose convenient times to trap them, but that's not the way it works... trapping them whenver a big group finds its way into the trap and then typically dispatching them at first light in the mornings (might be any day of the week).

I've trapped approximately 30 in the past few weeks alone, and they've been as healthy looking as I've ever seen feral pigs look / have been eating tons of swamp-oak acorns. Won't push any boars with "taint" on anyone unless they just want them (personally like them ok when smoked for sausage).

Hogs (2).jpg
Hogs (1).jpg

If I personally know you to be trustworthy, I'll even allow use of a skinning lift I built on my place -- otherwise, will meet you right at Highway 27 (Apalachee Parkway) close to the Highway 59 turn towards the Wacissa River, ready to help load hogs onto your vehicle.

Hogs (3).jpg

And here's a few pics just to show how tasty they can be for anyone with the least bit of cooking skills. All pics taken of meals prepared from hogs off my place, be it by me or friends (few on this forum).

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
668478633.jpg
Meal 3.jpg
Ribs.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
ropeman

Re: Needing Home(s) for Tasty Pigs

Post by ropeman »

Great sales pitch! I might be in the market for a tasty pig.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I just want to help shoot them. I can even do it with a crossbow if you want to keep it hush-hush.

Or my buddy has some thermal scopes if you want to light them up one night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
big bend gyrene

bbb wrote: March 25th, 2022, 4:55 pm I just want to help shoot them. I can even do it with a crossbow if you want to keep it hush-hush.
Got so many not even a prayer of a chance getting the numbers in check shooting them (done that in the past and taken out several sounders a pig or two at a time).

Nope... finding the method in this video WAY more effective in getting full sounders and on a much more frequent basis. Video's not from my place, but trap being used is same... and shows why I'm getting tired of cleaning them and need help since getting truck load full each time trap is triggered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4oNA8ViuwI
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
edif

Post by edif »

That is A GREAT offer how far are you from Tallahassee ?
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Very good thing you are doing Sir. I'm too far away most of the time.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

So looking for someone who doesn't want a pig with shorter hair. Hmmm. Seems I read somewhere that you have been known to shorten the hair on a pig for a friend.
:lol:
big bend gyrene

edif wrote: March 26th, 2022, 8:28 am That is A GREAT offer how far are you from Tallahassee ?
Depends a bit on part of Tallahassee. I'm about 20 mins from the east side / live very close to where Apalachee Highway/US27 meets 59 at the turn towards Wacissa.
big bend gyrene

WIth thanks to a forum member (will let him chime in / ID himself if he wants), I was able to find this sounder several good homes yesterday as he shared he processed them for a number of folks and taught some kids new skills while doing so. :thumbup:

032722 Haul.jpg

For anyone else wondering if more might become available, later in the evening trap already had more visitors... opted not to trap them just quite yet so could take a breather-break.

277458306_10228527758154426_4869623919852782673_n.jpg
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

That trap is really cool, how long does it take for them to calm down and stop trying to escape once it drops?
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

leonreno wrote: March 29th, 2022, 6:55 pm That trap is really cool, how long does it take for them to calm down and stop trying to escape once it drops?
Not long at all, I've seen them go right back to eating after 5-10 mins. They will get riled back up when you come up on them.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

we kill them nearly daily here but i've never seen Deer and Pigs in the same area like that. deer typically always run off when they come out. pretty neat to see!
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

I'm Interested
big bend gyrene

oreocwby wrote: March 31st, 2022, 1:52 pm I'm Interested
Oreocwby, got 3 or 4 more visiting the trap the past few nights but haven't triggered it due to the storms that rolled through and another forum member wanting one or two on Sunday if we can time it right.

Share the above as hopeful will trap some Saturday night / dispatch them close to first light on Sunday. If early Sunday morning works for you to pick up one or two, please PM me and let me know / let me know the best way to reach you. :thumbup:
big bend gyrene

dombern34 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 1:17 pm we kill them nearly daily here but i've never seen Deer and Pigs in the same area like that. deer typically always run off when they come out. pretty neat to see!
Yep, the deer usually defer to the pigs when it comes to claiming ground. That shared, I get a fair number of trail camera hits where they'll both be in fields together for at least a short time if the pigs don't make moves to chase off the deer.