Anybody fishing the Big Bend Saltwater Classic?

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Anybody fishing the Big Bend Saltwater Classic?

Post by Steve Stinson »

Haven't heard much chatter about the Big Bend Saltwater Classic this year. Is anybody fishing it?

I just checked the cost for myself and my 14 yr old son, who is now considered a rec angler since their Jr. division limit is 13 yrs old. For us to enter and get in the trout, red and flounder divisions would be $330.00. Seems a little steep.
FishWithChris

Re: Anybody fishing the Big Bend Saltwater Classic?

Post by FishWithChris »

I'm headed to Omaha for CWS and work -

I believe George/Jimmy/Jeff are fishing, though!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That is pretty rich stakes. I haven't fished it in many years. Emphasis always seemed to be on the offshore categories. Now several of those are restricted, so more focus inshore. The Rock the Dock tourney has really grabbed the momentum away from the BBSWC in recent years.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Wow Steve that seems like a ton of money for entry fees into a local tournament. I hope you and your son win something big. :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

For that price, I don't think I will enter. That is why I posted this question. Seems like a lot when I can take my son on a regular fishing trip for less that $100.
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

Thats too bad guys, the BBSC over the last 29 years has helped our resources by 100% giving back all proceeds to OAR which has deployed over 30 reefs in the Big Bend in the last few years and currently. This tournament has tried to provide a great family friendly vibe over Fathers Day weekend and a chance to win substantial cash prizes. I was hoping to see some of our Bigbendfishing members at the weigh in.

Liam Callaghan
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Great cause, but Father's Day weekend ( also wife's birthday) and having to take Friday off makes it tough for me. Good luck Liam, and everyone else
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

usually fish and would again, but I have a conflict. This is another of those fun conflicts, so I'll post a report next week.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Think that's high fish the doug Johnson it's 400$ plus another 100$ to get in the inshore slam pot.
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

Seas and wind are ideal to catch fish! Tides are going to be perfect too.

2017-06-16 07:50 EDT 3.26 feet High Tide
2017-06-16 12:51 EDT Moonset
2017-06-16 13:34 EDT 1.56 feet Low Tide
2017-06-16 19:12 EDT 3.11 feet High Tide
2017-06-16 20:39 EDT Sunset
2017-06-17 01:44 EDT Moonrise
2017-06-17 02:03 EDT 0.55 feet Low Tide
2017-06-17 06:35 EDT Sunrise
2017-06-17 07:35 EDT Last Quarter
2017-06-17 08:44 EDT 3.27 feet High Tide
2017-06-17 13:49 EDT Moonset
2017-06-17 14:53 EDT 1.40 feet Low Tide

FRIDAY
Southwest winds 10 knots. Seas 1 to 2 feet.
Dominant period 3 seconds. Protected waters a light chop. Slight
chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.

FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY
West winds 10 knots. Seas 1 to 2
feet. Protected waters a light chop. Chance of showers and
thunderstorms.

SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY
Southwest winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas
1 foot. Protected waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers
and thunderstorms.
mblambert

Post by mblambert »

The registration fee is $65 per person. If you want to enter the jackpots, then there are additional fees ($30 for each jackpot, except $40 for Kingfish and Redfish). The winning Redfish is going to be about a $4000 prize (depending on how many folks get in on the jackpot)! Or, you could not enter any jackpots and only register for $65 and win 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place prizes of $1000, $400 or $250 for each species. Seems pretty reasonable to me...
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Those registration fees are par with others and even cheaper than some. The jackpots always add up regardless. Beats the $60,000+ it took to get in across the board in last week's Mississippi Gulf Coast Billfish Classic. :wink:

No question the BBSWC has been a family-oriented tournament and certainly a huge benefactor to OAR and the reef building efforts across the region. From a perception standpoint though, the focus still seems to be offshore-oriented even with the inshore divisions.

Won't be fishing it because of other obligations, but best of luck and good conditions to those who are. I gave it a plug on my web site as well as in my fishing report for the Tallahassee Democrat. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
seakeer

Post by seakeer »

Yep, I'm fishing, but I don't expect to win anything and don't really care. Since "all proceeds generated from the event are used to expand and develop a system of artificial reefs in the Northeastern Gulf of Mexico, OAR's purview of operation" and I fish some their reefs, I figure I owe them something. I hope they have a great success.