CCA Star Tourney. Who's In?

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: CCA Star Tourney. Who's In?

Post by GaryDroze »

133 entries so far. Creek temps around SMWWR are climbing, which is chasing slot trout out into flats and deeper creek holes. But the redfish don't seem to care, and are biting anyplace that crabs and mullet are moving about, even in bathtub temperature shallows. Yes, you can sight-cast a tailing red in late summer, if you keep a low profile. Watched a buddy nail one on a gold spoon in skinny water a few days ago.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

145 entries. The Sally storm surge has washed a huge school of upper slot reds into a freshwater/brackish impoundment at the St Marks National Wildlife Refuge. You can literally catch them from the bank, cast after cast. Guess which one!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Still no tagged red caught by a registrant. If I had a skiff, I'd be hammering around Lanark nearshore on every outing. I think they release tags near boat ramps, and they don't go too far from release spot.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

GaryDroze wrote:Still no tagged red caught by a registrant. If I had a skiff, I'd be hammering around Lanark nearshore on every outing. I think they release tags near boat ramps, and they don't go too far from release spot.
According to the CCA offical that released the tagged Red I caught, it was released close to Eastpoint and traveled East to Lanark over the course of about a month. So hard to say if close to the ramp is more likely than somewhere else. It is a small needle in a big haystack but it can be done.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Thanks for the clarification, RockyG. Might I be correct in assuming that they probably stay close to the shore? Not that I have a shot at getting one. 147 entries as of today, though. Not giving up!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

154 entries as of today. Got my redfish just before the lightning storm took over Apalachee Bay.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Finished with 166 entries. Kept 52, released 114. The tagged red never showed up.
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Just got a call from CCA that I placed 3rd in the kayak division. I had way fewer entries this year due too a busy schedule, so I was completely surprised since I had so few entries this year.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

BillytheKid wrote:Just got a call from CCA that I placed 3rd in the kayak division. I had way fewer entries this year due too a busy schedule, so I was completely surprised since I had so few entries this year.
Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Soooo, Whatcha win ? :smt004
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

Gulf Coast wrote:Soooo, Whatcha win ? :smt004
$250 gift card and Danco pliars. I wonder how Gary did? He had a lot more entries than me.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I blanked on prizes this year, but got plenty of exercise paddling all over tidal creeks, plus forced myself to improve on fly casting. And it's a good cause. Congrats, BTK!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Congratulations BTK! And thanks to all the anglers who participated this year. There may be five boat/engine/trailer packages up for sale in the near future since no tagged reds were entered by tourney anglers.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
gary z

Post by gary z »

Where do you find the drawing results ?
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

gary z wrote:Where do you find the drawing results ?
I haven’t seen any results posted anywhere yet. I only knew about mine because I got a call from Lisa yesterday morning.