February 6, 2021 Tournament - St Marks

North Florida Gulf Coast Fishing Club

Moderator: bman

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: February 6, 2021 Tournament - St Marks

Post by Gulf Coast »

Hey, you guys have fun tonight, see yall Saturday AM :thumbup: :thumbup: :smt004
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Understand Juan. I don’t think most folks will be live baiting, but you might have some folks drowning shrimp in the river in light of the weather. We hope to see you later in the year.

Sounds like almost 20 boats signed up so far. Hobbs has the running total, but it was great to see so many faces at Bumpa’s.

Forgot to mention that there are two other side pots. Spotted redfish is sponsored by JazziJelli. Also a flounder pot. I’m honestly not sure who won the rights to sponsor that. Believe each is worth $50.

Despite some challenging conditions, it’s shaping up to be a good start to the season!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
gary z

Post by gary z »

Y’all go get em!! Good luck and stay safe. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the weigh in.
SkeeterBite

Post by SkeeterBite »

Quick Tournament Update!!
25 boats and counting!
Let's have a great day but bring a rain coat just in case.....be safe!
Biggest Slot Redfish/Biggest Trout .......combo weight...pays
1st Place 50% of entries
2nd Place 30% of entries
3rd Place 20% of entries
100% Payout!!!
No culling!
Red with the most spots-$50....Biggest flounder- framed wildlife photo from sponsor Bob Hoelzle.....safe light 0653.....weigh in 15:30@ Shields....make sure to have someone from each team check in prior to 15:30....
Any problems or team is not coming to the
weigh in call me-Capt.Steve Hobbs
850 363-0527 NFGFC
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Hope everyone caught fish. If the radar was accurate, you certainly earned anything caught. It rained all day here and the high was 47. Hate I didn't fish but glad I didn't. :-D
Someone please enlighten me (again) on the rules. Probably having fished a couple hundred bass tournaments over the years but only a handful of salt, I don't understand what is meant by "No Culling". Is that a "only if they are dead" rule? Are you required to keep the first legal fish you boat and quit fishing when you've reached your limit? Isn't the objective to weight in your "largest" legal fish?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Culling is the act of replacing a fish already in possession. So if you harvest a fish from the water, whether that be cooler or kept alive in livewell, that is possession and your fish.

Weather was all over the place. Some got dumped on a day, some even got a bit of hail when leaving early... we didn't get a single drop until we decided to head in a the first distant lightning strike. Pelted for 8 miles after that lol

Worth it though! Super fun day and absolute favorite part was seeing everyone again. Always good times out there

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Where is the update and pics? I didn’t get out today but I hope somebody caught some fish. 😁
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

FishWithChris wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:33 pm Culling is the act of replacing a fish already in possession. So if you harvest a fish from the water, whether that be cooler or kept alive in livewell, that is possession and your fish.
I thought there might be a variation or mean something different since a no culling rule is exactly opposite of bass fishing tournaments but I guess that explains my question and you must quit fishing and can't upgrade a live fish if you put a legal fish in the livewell. :roll:
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Don’t have to quit, but you can’t keep anymore. You need to think about what size red/over slot trout you’ll take possession of. You can always release the first few, just not after you box it. Top 3 paces were all 8.5-8#s
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Also, some tournaments obtain culling permits to allow you to cull. At the end if the day, it's a fun and friendly club - all (mostly) friends here

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:24 am
FishWithChris wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:33 pm Culling is the act of replacing a fish already in possession. So if you harvest a fish from the water, whether that be cooler or kept alive in livewell, that is possession and your fish.
I thought there might be a variation or mean something different since a no culling rule is exactly opposite of bass fishing tournaments but I guess that explains my question and you must quit fishing and can't upgrade a live fish if you put a legal fish in the livewell. :roll:
Rick, this is where a one man team is at a big disadvantage. I’m not sure about bass, but you aren’t allowed to cull reds and trout anytime, by the letter of the law. I’m not sure everyone follows the game laws. I know of one that doesn’t, and wins/ places in these tournaments regularly. Give a call and I’ll tell you all about it
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Thanks David. Never too old to relearn something. :D I thought I remembered this being discussed before: viewtopic.php?t=41047
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I’m not sure everyone follows the game laws. I know of one that doesn’t, and wins/ places in these tournaments regularly. Give a call and I’ll tell you all about it

SG, this is a complete BS remark that attacks someone/a member of the club,BTW are you a member ? Proper channel guy,proper channels. We have a great time at the NFGFC tourneys. Juan, folks that are interest, don't negative Ned shed a bad light on us having a great time. SG you should really be ashamed!!!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Whoa. I didn't intend to start an argument and I believe SG was just making a point in answer to my question and I don't think he intended to accuse or point a finger at anyone. I was just looking for an aswer and wasn't aware it is illegal to cull redfish in Florida and to be honest, I would have culled them had I not seen the "No Culling" comment Skeeterbite made in his post. Seems it became a law when redfish were considered endangered and it's never been revised and the only time culling is permitted is with a culling permit that can be issued for tournaments that meet certain fwc criteria.
Like it or not (and I don't) The law's the law.
Tournaments should be all about fellowship and having fun but they are still friendly competition with money at stake and everyone should be held to the same rules imo.
I'd also like to see a rule forbidding anglers from using more than one rod/reel combination at any given time. That would ease the live bait advantage a little imo.
Off my soap box now. :-D
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I'm a fan of the one rod/reel at a time rule, as that is in a lot of tourneys already

Image Image Image