CARRABELLE 10-06-07

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

CARRABELLE 10-06-07

Post by dolphinatic »

Despite the nasty weather forecast for Saturday, we decided to try our luck with some offshore fishing. We put in at CBC at 7:00am with decent conditions. By the time we got out to the west end of DI, we knew we were in for a rough ride. The 3-4's forecasted were stacked on top of 3-4's :o We joked that it would be our version of "Deadliest Catch: Carrabelle Edition" We were only going 7-8 miles out, so we decided to just take it easy and do a little trolling along the way. About an hour into the trip with no luck trolling and eager fisherman wanting to fish, we put the hammer down and ran on out to our first spot. About the time we got there, the rain started. It only lasted about 20 minutes and actually felt good. The boys started fishing regardless of the rain. Anchoring up on the spot was a big challenge due to the wind and high seas, but we managed to find some good bottom and marked fish. The bite started a little slow, but gradually picked up. Despite the weather, the guys were still enthusiastic about fishing.....although 2 of them felt the need to go below for a little snooze :smt015 We fished the 1 spot for a good part of the morning and managed to boat some nice fish. Early afternoon, the winds calmed a bit and the sun came out. We decided to try another spot close by.
As soon as we got there, 2 poles were bent over. My buddy Jeff fought his fish for 10 minutes, and then decided that he needed a breather being he had caught most of the nicer fish throughout the day :lol: I took over and fought the fish for about 10 minutes myself. We were all guessing as to what it could be (jewfish, shark, etc...) when finally I turned the fish upwards. Shortly thereafter, it surfaced to only be a 27" red grouper that had apparently been lodged in a nice rock :roll: We never could get the 2nd one out and eventually the hook came out.
With the afternoon rapidly escaping us, we decided to hit one more spot on the way in for a few rockies. Everybody started pulling them in and after 20 minutes or so, we decided to call it a day.
The ride back in was alot better than going out and we fought a strong east wind the entire day. Got back to CBC about 6:00pm, washed the boat and loaded up.
Stopping off for a nice dinner on the way home seemed appropriate, so we did so in Panacea. The food was good, but not $23.95 a peice good for a buffet :o Last time I was there, it was $13.95 :roll: Regardless, we stuffed ourselves and headed back to Tally for a shower and some college football to end the day. Great day on the water with some good friends and can't wait to do it again.......

TOTAL FOR THE DAY: 9 GAGS (22"-28")
4 REDS (21"-27")
A GAGGLE OF ROCK BASS

We fished from 65' - 75' (75'-85' with the high seas :lol: ). Cut LY's and sardines seemed to be the bait of the day. Squid produced the usual herd of grunts and rock bass.....remoras too. Trolled stretch 30's with no luck :cry:

No pictures from the boat......nobody was interested in getting any either due to the fish biting at the time or holding on for life!!!!!
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Sounds like the crew the Discovery channel was around somewhere.

Glad you got out and back with a few fish. :thumbup:
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good trip. :thumbup:

:o $23.95 each at the buffet :roll: :evil:

Sounds like we need the Miller Highlife sanity check fellows to pay em a visit :smt011
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Nice report, glad you got out there. What was the water temp?
Sea Ya !
Jeffry50

Post by Jeffry50 »

Man I'm still sore from holding on all day :roll:
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Great job on such a rough day. Well Done. Being the Cheap skate that I am I skipped the 23.95 buffet last time I was there! :roll:
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

23.95 for buffet :o

Hard to believe it could be any better than Savannah's and they give me an "old ugly person" discount to boot! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Ya'll some crazy MoFo's. :lol: Good job on the fish. :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

birddog wrote:Ya'll some crazy MoFo's. :lol: Good job on the fish. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'll second that....crazy for the weather and crazy to pay that price :smt005
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Crazy MoFo's we was......that was one if not the roughest days I've had on the water......even in a 32 footer :o As for the buffet, we never looked at the menu. We should have just stopped at Angelos for that price :roll:
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Great read and nice haul :thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

Looks like you guys had fun!
I hope the food was good!!??!!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"