St. Marks June 29-30

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

St. Marks June 29-30

Post by Srbenda »

I fished both days this weekend, with varied success.

Saturday

Started out with a family of manatees in the St. Marks River- two parents and a calf. The calf was very curious, coming right up to the boat.

Finally the storms broke up enough to get out.

We fished the east flats trying to escape the storm, and it was tough going, but ended up with 2 keeper trout. After the weather calmed down, we headed out to Dog Ballard, but there was little surface activity. We made several drifts with both flat-lined and bottom pinfish with no success. Even cut squid on the bottom wasn't getting a bite.

Went back for some more inshore, and caught more short trout, 3 or 4 remora's and some short sea bass.

Not a great day, but not terrible.

Sunday

Headed down early, but had to wait again for the storm to breakup.

It finally lifted around 800am, and the west flats were in good shape. Lots of trout and lady fish both actively hitting almost anything that you threw at them.

I headed offshore and managed a short cobia on a pinfish, and then trolled for awhile for spanish. I picked up one nice spanish, but the grass was tough to contend with. Saw several large bait schools, and worked them for a while with both a jerk bait and a small spoon, but no success.

The clouds started building again around 1pm, so I headed back north, not wanting to dodge any lightning.

Sunday the bite was completely different than Saturday. I was fishing a lot of the same bait, albeit in different places, but with very different results!
All photos copyright @saverymill
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks June 29-30

Post by DixieReb »

Glad you got out and caught some fish, that beats sitting at home or working! :wink:
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Cool shots.

Your weekend beat my sloppy, windy Friday. Tried for big shiners in two spots but only had a couple sailcats and mucus on the line to show for it.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Thanks for the report. Cool shots.

Your weekend beat my sloppy, windy Friday. Tried for big shiners in two spots but only had a couple sailcats and mucus on the line to show for it.
big shiners = tarpon?
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

:wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat