Offsho' in May

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

Offsho' in May

Post by Srbenda »

I was hoping to make it out further, but the clouds looked dangerous this morning, so we opted for closer offshore, but as the day turned out, we could have gone further out. Nonetheless, we had a great day catching fish and having fun!

We picked up some bait at first, although we struggled keeping on top of the school, and then we headed out further.

There was a lot of activity on top of the water, bait schools popping up some, big rays smashing occasionally, and this guy, who popped up near the boat a few times.

There was activity underwater too, we caught 3 cobia in all, only one a keeper. One was on a pinfish, one on a 5" white jerkbait, and the last one on a shrimp.

We also boated a short gag, who came in at 22" and got broke off at least 4 times by something large, Goliath or shark, likely. The big fish bite seemed to die off around noon, despite multiple baits in the water, but we kept seeing Spanish chase up our artificials, but they wouldn't bite. We had some shrimp and used them almost freelined down into the current, and that was the ticket. We boated over 20 Spanish, some of them quite large, and sent many of them back to swim.

The wind began to pick up around 230 and we headed for the shore, passing by a VERY crowded sandbar on the way. Social distancing has ended on the water...
All photos copyright @saverymill
geofish

Re: Offsho' in May

Post by geofish »

I think we may have fished one of the same reefs. I recognize the turtle :-)
Y'all did good.
My morning was tough. Lost a big cobia, got cutoff by a bunch of SM (who only wanted shrimp), but did manage to boat a nice flounder. In all future fishing reports I shall call all those remoras I catch "baby cobia".
I decided to make a run to a new spot inside state waters, looking for gag grouper, and instead caught a big red snapper where I didn't expect to find him. You can bet I'll be back in 2 weeks! While I was fighting the one red snapper, two other rods doubled over, with what I think started as snapper but by the time I got to each of the rods they had been replaced by 8-9 foot sharks. Wore myself out fighting those beasts.
Had 2 pinfish left, so I decided to stop at an inshore reef that shall remain nameless. Put a pin out on a free line rig while I cleaned up the rest of the boat, and in 2 minutes I had caught a 22 inch trout. Ya just never know . . .
Still, a beautiful day on the water.
Srbenda

Re: Offsho' in May

Post by Srbenda »

Yes, the remoras seemed to be everywhere! And eating everything!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill