June & July Offshore

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

June & July Offshore

Post by Srbenda »

I'm just going to consolidate all my offshore activity here for a few months.

Headed out last Friday into a thick fog, which made for slow going to start. It was almost 830 before it began to lift and we could run over 20knts.

We headed offshore to begin finding some bait schools, and came across this sailboat, they flagged us down, and told us they had been hit by lightning 2 days previously, and had been without electronics the entire time. Fortunately, their motor was working, and they were headed into Shields for repairs. We gave them a compass heading from where we were to get to the St Marks channel, and off they went.

We found some bait, loaded up the livewell, and headed south, looking for snapper.

We never found any snapper, we looked around at various spots in 50'+ water, but never located any. We did find some grunt, some bsb, and the ever present AJ's. Water was clean offshore, but pretty rough inside of 5 miles.

Thunderheads began to form around 1pm, so we headed in.

We were going to try again on Saturday, and as others have noted, the forecast was WRONG. We played around inshore for a few hours, talked to Geofish on the radio, and ended up wandering offshore around 11. Seas were around 1.5 to 2 with an occasional 3' thrown in for good measure, but we moved slowly. We ended up on Dog Ballard, water clarity was much better than inshore. We chummed, soaked baits, and got broke off on a few fish, got Goliath'd at least once, and finally landed a cobia that came in at 32.5".

Fishing Chris was able to get up in the tower and help direct activities, providing words of encouragement and direction.

I also tried my new Apalachee Inshore hat. I haven't determined the luck level of this hat, but I'll keep wearing it to see if it works better than my old hat.

All photos copyright @saverymill
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: June & July Offshore

Post by Juan »

Great report! but I've found that hats need blood stains to get the luck started. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. That was a good Samaritan to help out the blow boat and you were rewarded with some fish.

Keep hunting and you'll get the snapper dialed in. :thumbup:

Is that a hat from Capt. Evan (Apalachee Inshore Charters) or another vendor? Nice graphics.

It sounds like a true offshore boat might be in your future? :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:Thanks for the report. That was a good Samaritan to help out the blow boat and you were rewarded with some fish.

Keep hunting and you'll get the snapper dialed in. :thumbup:

Is that a hat from Capt. Evan (Apalachee Inshore Charters) or another vendor? Nice graphics.

It sounds like a true offshore boat might be in your future? :wink:
That IS an Evan hat.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

I couldn’t imagine being on a blow boat let alone getting hit by lightning I bet they were glad to see y’all
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

[/quote]That IS an Evan hat.[/quote]

Cool. It should have some good karma then. Capt. Snow is a whisperer.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

That weather certainly put an impediment on an adventure offshore but we had a fairly decent trade-off at DB between the big groupa and cobia.

I have to say, I've been itching to get on that tower for a while and WOW. Absolute game changer. Allegedly you get 10' further visibility for every 1' higher you are... but also a big gain in depth visibility. Being able to spot fish, point them out, direct casts... absolute joy. I had just as much fun up there as I could have on the deck making casts.

Here's a shot of a guest hooked up ! (Lifejacket for quick release of anchor... it was still a solid 2 - 3s out there)

sent from the Ketchup Packet
ImageImage
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished again today offshore, struggled to get bait to start. The sabiki rig didnt seem to be working effectively, and I'll blame it on the tea-colored water even 5nm out. Saw LOTS of bait , but struggled to connect.

With about 10 in the livewell, we headed further, and got stopped by the FWC. We had a quick cooler check ( empty! ) and we were on our way.

We still didnt find snapper, but we did land a few short gags, an AJ, and a BIG mantis shrimp. We also put a few grunts in the box for dinner.

We got broke off multiple times, and Goliathed at least once. The wind picked up around 2 and we headed in and by the time we got to the St Mark's channel, we were seeing 1' to 2' easy in a nasty washing-machine chop.

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Big Mantis!

Guests getting hammered with an AJ

The ride back got a little sloppy...

THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

What did you do with that Shrimp ?
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:What did you do with that Shrimp ?
That became some grouper bait!

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished today in about 50'.

Was able to chum up some red snapper again, but they were still shy despite a 3/0 hook and delicious fresh cut bait.

Amberjacks were eager to eat as always, we landed one and broke off several others, all on live baits.

The waters remained calm until about 2, and the wind picked up.

Stopped at the Shoals and all quiet there as well, besides a few houndfish swimming around.

THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

You should have saved that shrimp and gave it to Gary Droze. I bet he would have ate it. :lick:
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished nearshore today and the water was HOT, and so was the bite!

Landed 2 short gags, got sharked, brought up a monster ray, and boated two Spanish, one of which measured nearly 22".

Lots of bait activity happening near the surface, all threadfins and Atlantic bumpers. I could have blacked out the livewell once I got there instead of stopping for pins on the way.