Panacea Fishing and scalloping

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eenriquez

Post by eenriquez »

Good Morning,

I'm heading to Panacea for a week of fishing. We are staying on the water. We are coming from Sebastian inlet. I have a couple of questions:

1)what bait should i be using offshore 20-30 miles out.
2)Whats a good bait shop on the water?
3)Good areas for catching scallops?

The boat will be left in the water.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Panacea Fishing and scalloping

Post by silverking »

Others may have different opinions on baits, but live pinfish seems to be universal. Squid and frozen menhaden (pogy) for backup.

There are no bait shops on the water in Panacea. Best bet is the BP station at Mashes Sands, just before the Ocklockonee Bridge on Highway 98 South. Haven't been in there for awhile, but they used to carry live pins and shrimp. Rocky's in Medart is another source of frozen baits/supplies.

For scalloping you're going to want to run east of the St. Marks River past the Lighthouse. Be careful of the rocks. Look for the flotilla. The alternative would be a longer run to the west, around Alligator Point and along Hwy 98. Plenty of grass flats there from Summer Camp development west to Lanark.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

eenriquez wrote:Good Morning,

I'm heading to Panacea for a week of fishing. We are staying on the water. We are coming from Sebastian inlet. I have a couple of questions:

1)what bait should i be using offshore 20-30 miles out.
2)Whats a good bait shop on the water?
3)Good areas for catching scallops?

The boat will be left in the water.
Crum’s Mini Mall in Panacea is going to the best bait/tackle in the area. Rocky’s is good too but not as much of a selection. And the chicken shack/gas station before the bridge is good if all others have failed. Just my opinion but you can’t go wrong either way, all local business of some good folks.

Scallops never heard of them. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Srbenda

Re: Panacea Fishing and scalloping

Post by Srbenda »

Offshore bait would be best caught on your own.

Sabiki up pinfish on the flats, or go offshore and look for schools of bait and sabiki them up en masse.
All photos copyright @saverymill