Snapper fishing

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Snapper fishing

Post by tailwaters »

Went out twice the week before last and again this past Sat. Haven't had any issue getting our limit in the 65' of water with fish going 20"-29". Just curious what depth others are fishing and how it's been.
Srbenda

Re: Snapper fishing

Post by Srbenda »

Been in 50' to 60'. Have caught 0 snappers so far.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Snapperlr

Post by Snapperlr »

90' to 110'. Fish in the 10lb range everywhere. A few 20lb fish mixed in.
wskybiz

Post by wskybiz »

40 miles out of St. Marks 90' of water no problem catching limits last 3 trips. Live pinfish is key
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I need a bigger boat.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:I need a bigger boat.

No you don’t, my boat is smaller than yours. Tailwaters and I fish together. We were in sight of k tower. Just spend some time looking at your bottom machine. After we got our limit and 2 gags on Sunday, we went looking for new stuff. Picked up 2 more gags and a couple of big ars on the first spot we found. It’s getting crowded out there. Really good fisherman will tell your small little spots that barely show up on your bottom machine are better than the huge rocks or ledges that everyone knows about. Do some homework and you’ll get there. Shoot me another pm if you need help. Surprisingly, there weren’t a lot of boats offshore on Sunday. 4th of husky weekend will be crazy I’m sure.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Lvnspeed

Post by Lvnspeed »

75=80' of water limited out the past two weekends. There were red and gag groupers in the same spots.
1998 Scarab Sport twin 300 Mercury Verados
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Salty Gator wrote:

No you don’t, my boat is smaller than yours. Tailwaters and I fish together. We were in sight of k tower. Just spend some time looking at your bottom machine. After we got our limit and 2 gags on Sunday, we went looking for new stuff. Picked up 2 more gags and a couple of big ars on the first spot we found. It’s getting crowded out there. Really good fisherman will tell your small little spots that barely show up on your bottom machine are better than the huge rocks or ledges that everyone knows about. Do some homework and you’ll get there. Shoot me another pm if you need help. Surprisingly, there weren’t a lot of boats offshore on Sunday. 4th of husky weekend will be crazy I’m sure.
Weather looks no bueno for this weekend, but you're right, I need to move slow and watch the bottom.

I dont have a thru-hull, but trolling does the trick.

tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

.[/quote]Weather looks no bueno for this weekend, but you're right, I need to move slow and watch the bottom.

I dont have a thru-hull, but trolling does the trick.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk[/quote]

Trolling is a good way to find new places but you should be able to run around 18-23 mph and still be able to read the bottom on your machine. Also zoom out so you can see the second echo to determine rock vs sand. Once you see something turn around and drive over it at a slower speed to see if it's work marking. Another tip is to keep an eye out for are turtles. Although they do move around, a lot of times they are feeding on good bottom. I didn't have side imaging on my Grady before it got totaled in last years hurricane but Salty Gator recently got it on his. It's amazing how much more you can see with one!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Listen to tw. He taught me most of what I know about offshore fishing this area.
All pms replies to
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

Been out twice in the last week. Fished from 85’-100’. No problem finding good fish.
GaffMan
Site Sponsor

Post by GaffMan »

We went out again South of V in 90+ and caught 4 snapper over 30", all were over 23". Keeper gags & Lanes too. No red Grouper this trip.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Awesome!
Hoping to find some calm weather to get out that deep. Even 2 foot chop/waves pound a bit with the Wahoo21, and I get a little slappy running through it for more than an hour (out of St Marks).
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

[quote="Salty Gator"][quote="Srbenda"]I need a bigger boat.

I'm curious Salty, how big is your boat?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Rhodes wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I'm curious Salty, how big is your boat?
22’ pathfinder. Pick your days