Gobies as live bait for snapper or grouper?

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

Gobies as live bait for snapper or grouper?

Post by geofish »

Went out from Carrabelle yesterday, expecting calm waters and wind; Got a bit choppier than we hoped, but made it out southwest of the S tower in 105 feet of water. [Note to myself -- bring a longer anchor rope next time]
We made the mistake of not spending time getting pinfish or other live bait, and caught only one small red snapper and some lanes with cut bait and squid. We kept getting nibbled by little bottom-dwellers, pulled up an 8-10 inch ?diamond goby? or some kind of long-ish bottom-feeder and sent it back down hoping for maybe a grouper bite.
Bam! In less than a minute, caught a nice big red snapper!
Does anyone else use these for bait? Seems like they're easy to catch offshore, although they don't last long in a livewell.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Re: Gobies as live bait for snapper or grouper?

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Sand perch look kind of like a Goby and are kick azz bait. They call them squirrel fish up here for some reason.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Yes, that's it!
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:Sand perch look kind of like a Goby and are kick azz bait. They call them squirrel fish up here for some reason.
I was lining some red snapper yesterday and they all had squirrel fish in their gut, also found a few nice new hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk